Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I get my car towed to my local svt dealership
It needed a new idler for the timing belt
they call me and tell me it needs a lot more stuff like the tensioner new timing belt serpintine belt ect...
I tell them fine fix that stuff but I want the old stuff back(I think they are trying to screw me.
well almost a week goes by get a call from them (thought I needed to go pick up my car up)
the service writer calles says I hace no compression on #3 theres a cracker piston ! I need a new engine that costs $6000 Im like w t f didnt have cracked piston when it left here
so I start talking to people nded up calling svt for [censored] and giggles'
they sounded like the could/wanted to help
they call the dealer and call me back
"well your car is heavily modded sorry nothing we can do

w t f if it was a nascar stock car and I had carb work done and they broke a piston what does mods have to do with it?
so I dont know what to do
Its gonna be hard to prove that they broke my car

some one got a better Idea what I should do (besides driving through the showroom window)? guess that means no jetfest for me

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is it still under the warrenty period? If so, the burdon of proof is on them to prove the mod caused the faliure. Take them to small claims court if you have to.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I was paying 4 them to repair out of my pocket

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
As much as I hate lawyers.....I think you may need one.
Unfortunately you'll be without your car for the 2 years it will be held up in court (thanks to other lawyers).

I'd at least pay a lawyer to write them a nasty letter of intent (to sue).

A smaller step would be to go down and make a scene right there in the service department with the manager present.
Ask them to fix only what you brought it for, and tell them you're driving it off the lot. If it ran when you brought it in and it doesn't when you come to get it...well...you see where I'm going here. It wouldn't be the first time a car was damaged/destroyed while in the hands of a heavy footed service tech.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could always stand in the lot, and tell potential customers how horrible their service department is, get some friends to do it also
Wow that really sucks. maybee you could have someone else look at it, like a second opinion and see if the damage could have been caused my a mechinic
how could they "crack" a piston though.... Did the timing belt bust while you where driving it? if so, a valve could have hit the piston/broke with everything going haywire in there. I know in other cars if you bust your timing belt while driving, it would wreck the head!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope it was sitting in the driveway idling when the timing belt idler failed I was watching it didnt jump time or anything...went straight on the flatbed

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron Tirapelli Ford Inc

·
Registered
26 Posts
What mods did you do to your car?

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
...2 cents worth.No compression on #3 tells me the valves 'kissed' when the belt went...It can happen 80% of belt breaks you get away with,the rest can just bend a valve enough to kiss....Seen it a few times myself...

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Is it still under the warrenty period? If so, the burdon of proof is on them to prove the mod caused the faliure. Take them to small claims court if you have to.
I would first make them prove to you that your mods caused the damage. It is times like this I am glad I have a great dealer to work with

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
If the car is out of warranty it does not matter what happened. Ford does not have to do anything for you. They can be nice and try but if they feel that it is not a good decision they will pass.
Exactly how did the dealership crack a pistion putting in a timing belt tensioner?? I agree with when the belt broke it happened then

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the belt never broke or even jumped time...the timing belt idler got mis aligned then i seen this and shut the car off the car didnt miss a beat. b t w the car has oversized ferrara valves I would much rather put a piuston in than more headwork

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Well if the dealer knows you have done headwork than for sure you are done with any warranty issue. If they said you had an Intake, ect and claimed no warranty you might have an issue. Head work and a piston problem is a different story. It only takes a split second to bump a valve, ect. It could have happened when the belt lost tension and you ran around to turn the car off, ect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
if you shut it off and had it flatbeded to dealership but still in running order then it sounds like the dealership has done something to the car. Something is not right. It was running on all cylinders when it went in i would expect it to run on all of them when it leaves the dealership.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would hope so now I dont know what to do

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would hope so now I dont know what to do

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
tat sucks shady...... idk bitch em out till they go along with you.... and if they dont well buck up and rebuild that motor with stronger parts to hanlde MORE POWER

1 - 20 of 36 Posts