Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I personally will not give out the info because if I get in an accident with You, I don't want your death on my mind because Your airbags did not deploy because they were disabled.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does anyone have a how-to on disabling both airbags?
Are you trying to disable them or remove them all together?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yeah for what purpose? heck your insurance would be voided if you were in an accident (whether hurt or not) and when they saw you airbags didnt fire when they should have...or upon notice that their not their at all. they'll void your insurance right there...so if you are hurt and/or some1 else has their car damaged b/c of you or is hurt....you way f'd.

-Ult

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally will not give out the info because if I get in an accident with You, I don't want your death on my mind because Your airbags did not deploy because they were disabled.
So your saying that people with older cars that don't have air bags are all going to die if they get into an accident

Plus the reason why i want to disable them is so that i can have my son sit in the front with me and i don't have to worry about him getting killed by the airbag in case of an accident.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah for what purpose? heck your insurance would be voided if you were in an accident (whether hurt or not) and when they saw you airbags didnt fire when they should have...or upon notice that their not their at all. they'll void your insurance right there...so if you are hurt and/or some1 else has their car damaged b/c of you or is hurt....you way f'd.

-Ult

I checked already with our insurance and it is up to me if i want air bags in my car. It will NOT void my insurance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
UltegraSTI is right, If the insurance company finds out they will drop you like a ton of bricks or they will raise you insurance payment sky high.

but if you would like too disable them you can remove the center console between the two front seats and there is two metal boxes between the e-brake and the shifter they are the air bag controlers. you unplug them they will be disabled. I dont know how to remove the one in the steering wheel but the passenger one can be removed by takeing out the glove box and removeing some of the duct work and you can get right to it. plus they make a cool little tray that goes in place of the passenger side air bag. I wouldn't go removeing them though because they still can go off in the removal proccess even if they are dissabled.
If you are going to do it be careful and be safe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UltegraSTI is right, If the insurance company finds out they will drop you like a ton of bricks or they will raise you insurance payment sky high.

but if you would like too disable them you can remove the center console between the two front seats and there is two metal boxes between the e-brake and the shifter they are the air bag controlers. you unplug them they will be disabled. I dont know how to remove the one in the steering wheel but the passenger one can be removed by takeing out the glove box and removeing some of the duct work and you can get right to it. plus they make a cool little tray that goes in place of the passenger side air bag. I wouldn't go removeing them though because they still can go off in the removal proccess even if they are dissabled.
If you are going to do it be careful and be safe.
Thanks for the info.

You guys have to remember something about my insurance, i don't live in the states and our insurance is not private here.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There are also little tabs holding the passenger side airbag lid on...not exactly sure how they come out but my haynes says to slide something in between & slide it around to get them all out (they pop in I guess) You guys really need to get a Haynes guide, they even have pictures

·
Registered
358 Posts
Plus the reason why i want to disable them is so that i can have my son sit in the front with me and i don't have to worry about him getting killed by the airbag in case of an accident.
For your son's safety, maybe consider Ford's
recommendation....."Secure children in the rear seat".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For your son's safety, maybe consider Ford's
recommendation....."Secure children in the rear seat".
Why do you think they recommend that........ ummmmmm mabye because the AIRBAG will kill him.

What is the difference if he sits in the front or back? If your going to get hit it's going to hurt either way.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
A better option would be to find someone to install an on/off switch with an indicator light for the passenger airbag, like I have in my 2003 Ranger. That way, you will still have the airbags in the car if you sell it and also be able to use them if an adult is in the passenger seat. If you sold a car to some one who then had an accident in that car and was injured or killed because the airbag was either disconnected or otherwise disabled you could be held liable. You are right to be concerened about the effect a first generation airbag can have on a child which is why it is recommended that children sit in the back seat of an airbag equipped car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A better option would be to find someone to install an on/off switch with an indicator light for the passenger airbag, like I have in my 2003 Ranger. That way, you will still have the airbags in the car if you sell it and also be able to use them if an adult is in the passenger seat. If you sold a car to some one who then had an accident in that car and was injured or killed because the airbag was either disconnected or otherwise disabled you could be held liable. You are right to be concerened about the effect a first generation airbag can have on a child which is why it is recommended that children sit in the back seat of an airbag equipped car.
I have plans to put something in the dash where the airbag is, and i am going to change the steering wheel.

As for being liable, If or when i sell the car i would tell the buyer... plus it would be noticable that they where not there before the purchase.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only advice i can give is make sure you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for an hour w/ the battery disc'd, i'm putting my MOMO Club 3 in tonight, that's the advise i got... +, keep your face away from teh deployment area just in case, or you'll get powdered
. GL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts