Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least i think it's that. I took her to the drags tonight for the first time. I have a great run thru first. then i hit second and it started bogging down like it wasn't getting fuel...like it wanted to die....so i droped it out of gear and poped it back in there and let off the gas then hit it again and it finally picked back up....it did this three times.....i was pissed cuz i woulda smoked the damn hondas too. Is it my fuel pump? if so where can i get one and is there aftermarket ones that will preform better? also is it and in-tank one? Also how much am i looking at for a new one?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check fordpartsonline.com for a Motorcraft replacement pump its cheaper than going to the dealership and ordering it. Yes it is in the tank. It takes about 1-5 hrs depending on how much fuel is left in the tank, the less the better. Also I think venom has an aftermarket fuel pump that has to be run inline in stead of in the tank, not for sure though. If u have a local salvage yard around, check there for fuel pumps, they are hella cheaper than any alternative.....
Change your fuel filter (in front of tank) and leave the sock filter on the new replacement pump off, this usually causes a lot of the fuel pump problems with the Focus. Be sure when before changing anything related to the fuel system to depressurize the fuel system by pulling the 15AWG fuse under the hood for the fuel pump, start the car, this starves the car, yes it will sound bad, and idle rough: let it die, you are now depressurized. Then go to town on your tank. There is only one bolt, I beleive it was a 13mm and the holds the straps...be sure to remove the fuel inlet hose and charcoal canister venting hoses before dropping, a new fuel fill hose is EXPENSIVE!!!
There is a thread on here somewhere that shows exactly what to do. For the first timer it is a pain...but very doable. -ERic
Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is my write-up from when I did this. 15,000 miles later, car is still running great, except for some weird squeaky noise under the hood when I'm rolling...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check batinc.net or spmotorsports.com. I'm not sure if they sell the focus pump, but they had the contour returnless pump for eighty bucks. If its not on the site email them. They might be able to get it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i had the same problem a couple times. check your plugs real good bef0re you go after the fuel pump. i burnt out a lot of autolite plugs, it definiently could be the pump though given the crappy nature of them. good luck

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here is my write-up from when I did this. 15,000 miles later, car is still running great, except for some weird squeaky noise under the hood when I'm rolling...
Are you running it w/out the 'sock' filter ? Coz I replace mine w/ a junk yard one a month ago and now I have that problem again. Wonder if it is the sock filter.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
At least i think it's that. I took her to the drags tonight for the first time. I have a great run thru first. then i hit second and it started bogging down like it wasn't getting fuel...like it wanted to die....so i droped it out of gear and poped it back in there and let off the gas then hit it again and it finally picked back up....it did this three times.....i was pissed cuz i woulda smoked the damn hondas too. Is it my fuel pump? if so where can i get one and is there aftermarket ones that will preform better? also is it and in-tank one? Also how much am i looking at for a new one?
\

Phillip is our Fuel Pump man. Ask for Phillips help in the Northwest section. He has dealed with this problem and fixed it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you running it w/out the 'sock' filter ? Coz I replace mine w/ a junk yard one a month ago and now I have that problem again. Wonder if it is the sock filter.
I threw out both filters. The SOCK filter, inside the pump canister, is probably the major cause of our woes.
Little tricky bastards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts