Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!! Got dyno\'d and now I\'m confused

I was at a local autoshow and someone (XXtuning) had a dyno there. It was $40 for 3 runs so I figured what the heck, it'll be good to see where my car is at now. Its a ZX3 with Iceman intake and Bosal exhaust. No major changes, but again I wanted to know what its running at the moment before I go further. I forgot to scan the dyno sheet, but my third run had 108 ft/lb and 108 whp. One of the guys running the machine was actually impressed saying that usually stock the ZX3 comes in at 85-90...
So thats why I'm confused. After reading the posts here over the last couple months and I saw that the stock ZX3 usually ranges from 105-115whp because of (or lack of) factory tuning. So after adding the two mods I'm only at 108?? I mean I saw and felt BIG improvements after each addition, but that means I was in the 80s before??
So again I'm confused and unsure of what to do. I got this car because I wanted something that I could add to and improve on without driving another Honda or paying lots of money. I love how the car handles now and I'm not looking for a race car, but I want MORE out of the performance. Also I can't trade this one in to get one with a Pzev (even if they were available).
So do I proceed as normal? I was going to get pulley, 2000 mani next, TB, header, hi-cat, and finally cam gears (maybe stage 1 cams) in that order (over the course of at least a year maybe two). Should I get the cam gears and tune now 'cus I may have super whimpy tuning now? What are the REAL numbers for a stock zetec? Should I not bother doing anything to this car for 2-3 years and then get Duratec? ARGH!!!! I'm now so confused

Help please

·
Registered
767 Posts
Re: HELP!! Got dyno\'d and now I\'m confused

I'd say keep going the route you've planned, then get the duratech when you can. OR go with an SC or turbo set up to help out, unless of course your plan was keeping it NA.

ec9

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was planning on staying NA, but my mind tends to wander towards some sort of FI... then I stop to fill up the tank and thoughts of FI quickly vanish

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

they prolly did a bunch of automagics. they'll do 85-90 stock.

-Ult

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

dont sometimes different dyno's give different numbers?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So maybe I started out with 100whp and the two mods brought me up to 108? So maybe I should get adjustable sprockets and set the to 0,0 for now? Try to even things out?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

mobile dynos = unreliable

Can't trust those numbers to save your life.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

mobile dynos = unreliable

Can't trust those numbers to save your life.
Should I just ignore this data (going to scan and post the dyno sheet tonight or tomorrow) and proceed as normal or get another dyno done before making more changes.
I've only had the car since Jan '03 and its going on 50k, seems to be running ok but also don't want to ignore any possible signs of trouble in the engine...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Each and every dyno is different... and will post different numbers.... if the dyno was posting 90 on average for a stock MTX... then you're doing OK... cuz you're 18HP above that!

Basically, unless you're going back to the same dyno time and time again, the gain/loss from dyno to dyno will vary. as long as you keep going up, then you're doing something right!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

Each and every dyno is different... and will post different numbers.... if the dyno was posting 90 on average for a stock MTX... then you're doing OK... cuz you're 18HP above that!

Basically, unless you're going back to the same dyno time and time again, the gain/loss from dyno to dyno will vary. as long as you keep going up, then you're doing something right!
that's what i was trying to say.

go to a dyno for your base numbers, then keep going to the same one.

me? oh, i'm searching for one. since you live so damned close to me, maybe we could go down together next time wallingford has a dyno day.

·
Registered
208 Posts

We got 103 HP on our first dyno pull, and 102 on the second, when our first Focus project car was totally stock. Most of the stock focus we've tested have come in at 100 to 108 hp on our Dynojet.

From our tests, a good catback is 5-7 HP on a near-stock car.

The best air intake we tested was 6 HP and the worst was only worth 1 HP.

Your car probably started at 102 to 104 and picked up 4 to 6 HP from the muffler and Iceman. Don't get too discouraged. You've only got 2 parts on the car, and you're not that far out of line with what we have tested.

If you want to see some Dyno test results, click here http://www.steedafocus.com/charts/Charts11_14.htm or go to steedafocus.com and click on TECH & INFO.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks guys, I feel better now.
So are there really cars that start out at 115?
If so is it a matter of tuning or something else?

Demonfire: I'd definitally like go to Wallingford next Dyno day
My wife wants to get her car tested, but for that we have to go to XXtuning since only they have an AWD dyno.

Techguy: got a Steeda Tri-ax two weeks ago and luv it

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

where is XXtuning?

edit: and where was the show?

·
Registered
144 Posts

Forget the dyno run. You were happy with your car before you saw the numbers, and now your not. I agree that mobile dynos are shakey. Find a good shop and do your tuning there.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts

Another thing to consider even if the numbers are off as others have discussed you should still have a good idea of your power curve. At the very least you'll know where your power is being made even if the numerical values are off. That'll give you a better idea of what rpms you should be shifting at.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

XXTuning uses one of those dynopack dynos which are different than the ones with roller ( I believe)...they claim to be more accurate...just FYI...

CCC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts