Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaned my car to my father to drive from Central CA to Oregon. About a 1000 miles round trip.
When he got back, the engine was sounding really loud. When I checked under the hood, my air intake pipe (a Volant) had popped out. Unfiltered air was going straight into the throttle body. For possibly a 1000 freaking miles! How bad is this? How much damage has been done?

[ 11-16-2002, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: zx3kona ]

·
Registered
84 Posts
As long as the roads weren't dusty, probably nothing. Air filters are only to keep the big particles out, and keep the injested volumn down, so you don't get too much wear.

[ 11-16-2002, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: TheReaper ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx. I was freaking out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just hope you didn't get a squirrel sucked up in there...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Uh, I don't think that your car could've been driven very far like this anyway. Once the MAF is not in the intake path, the computer goes in to a 'limp mode' and doesn't run very well at all.
The intake couldn't have been off very long at all.

Rex

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
not true. when i was installing my volant, i had problems getting it to stay on the TB due to the rubber mounting-sleeve-thingy not being correctly placed. anyways, it runs fine at speed. it bogs like mad on acceleration though. but mine never came completely OFF...it would just pop off and sit on there, so most air was still coming past MAF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts