Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy,
Is the cable for the Xcal2 to the LC1 lambda cable available yet?

Or anything that will allow me to log AFR while data logging with the Xcal2 on the same screen.

I looked everywhere and can’t find anything.I am looking for the 9pin connector.

If They are available how much are they?

I thought I read something about this a few weeks ago in one of your post, but I can’t remember.

Also, which o2 sensor should I turn off to install the LC1.

I thought you had shut number 2 off in the base tune for my PRP but it still has a value of 1.

Is number2 the right one to give a zero value to and do I need to turn off any heaters?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I dont know what the Xcal2 is, but on my raptor it has an analog input which is just a basic mouse or keyboard port. The LC-1 has a bunch of wires ready to hook up for analog signal. One of those wires is the wire you want to hook up to one of your analog logging wires from your xcal2. Like I said I have the raptor, so I dont know the differences in your case, vs mine. The wire for that mouse port can be bought at any computer store or just use an old mouse and cut it up. Someone may correct me if the xcal2 is different.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
The 9 pin for the XCal2 is kind of rare I guess. I haven't been keeping them in stock since I was under the impression that they could be picked up easily at any computer store. I don't use the 9 pin for anything, so I don't have ANY right now, but I'll be ordering some later this week.

As for the rear o2, sometimes I leave it on and sometimes I don't. On SVT files, I usually leave it on unless it's requested. You'd want to hook up your wideband to your downstream sensor provision and turn off the rear o2 in the software.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Randy, I need one of those 9 pin connectors too. Let me know when they reach so I can order one. Thanks

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy,
Please let know what your expected delivery day will be, as per our phone conversation I am going to need the 9pin by the 5th of August at the latest. I can’t get on the dyno without it. I know it will cost me extra for express shipping, but more than a few people are counting on me to split the cost of the dyno.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Randy, did you guys ship my XCal2 back Friday? If not hold it and I'll give you a call monday and order up a cable as well as ask a couple other questions related to my ECU and what it's got flashed on there right now.

Edit: I talked to Todd on AIM and it sounds like it went out the door Friday. I'll just wait and see what I get in the box.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I got the cable,
Now what? The LC-1 comes with a 9 pin serial connector only it’s the wrong type of fitting.
I didn’t need the cable if I wanted to use log works to data log my AFR.
The cable I got today fit’s the XCal2 but, doesn’t fit anywhere on the LC-1.
Let me guess, I’m suppose to cut the end of the cable I just got and check the wires to figure out what goes where?
I had hoped that SCT would have don’t the work for me. So much for that!
So the next question, Randy is there a diagram from SCT on how to hook the LC-1 to the XCal2?
I read on their web site that there are 5 analog inputs into the XCal2 and the Lambda cable has two and of the 5 on the XCal2 3 are for later software releases.
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t think so.
What’s got me confused is Innovate has the larger serial port connected to a stereo male plug that goes into the output of their XD-1 gauge an then to your computer but, they say if your using the analog out signals as input for an ECU or data logger to connect the system ground to the ground of the ECU or data logger.
For once I would just like to see a plug and play application from SCT.
They said that the XCal2 has all these function or will shortly and yet they don’t even tell you that you need the 9 pin connector to log AFR with their device.
Sorry for complaining, But am starting to get a little P.O with how much time I’ve wasted trying to use their product.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Ok I got the cable,
Now what? The LC-1 comes with a 9 pin serial connector only it’s the wrong type of fitting.
I didn’t need the cable if I wanted to use log works to data log my AFR.
The cable I got today fit’s the XCal2 but, doesn’t fit anywhere on the LC-1.
Let me guess, I’m suppose to cut the end of the cable I just got and check the wires to figure out what goes where?
I had hoped that SCT would have don’t the work for me. So much for that!
So the next question, Randy is there a diagram from SCT on how to hook the LC-1 to the XCal2?
I read on their web site that there are 5 analog inputs into the XCal2 and the Lambda cable has two and of the 5 on the XCal2 3 are for later software releases.
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t think so.
What’s got me confused is Innovate has the larger serial port connected to a stereo male plug that goes into the output of their XD-1 gauge an then to your computer but, they say if your using the analog out signals as input for an ECU or data logger to connect the system ground to the ground of the ECU or data logger.
For once I would just like to see a plug and play application from SCT.
They said that the XCal2 has all these function or will shortly and yet they don’t even tell you that you need the 9 pin connector to log AFR with their device.
Sorry for complaining, But am starting to get a little P.O with how much time I’ve wasted trying to use their product.
I can understand your frustration, but you have to keep in mind that SCT cannot make a product that is guaranteed to work with widebands from brands X, Y, and Z. It's up to the end user to figure that out.
Not sure why the funky 9 pin, though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I got it all figured out.

Here’s the deal with the LC-1 lambda cable, it does not wire the same as the LM-1 the wires are different colors and if you bought the XD-1 gauge kit it can be really confusing which cable does what.
The cable that has the stereo plug, is for you to calibrate the gauge or you can use log works but you will more than likely need to buy a USB to serial plug adapter.

My lap top doesn’t have a serial port on it. So, what ever you do don’t cut this cable. I now know this first hand!

The wires that come with the stripped ends are the only ones you have to worry about.

There is a thread on MD that shows the right pin connections and where they go, I’d show you but I’m a little bit challenged when it come to computer stuff.

Three wires go into the 9 pin yellow Analog 1, brown Analog 2, green system ground that it for now.

Then comes the fun part how do you get the wires to stay in the 9 pin and keep them from touching each other. This is up to you.
I choose to cut the female end off the 9 pin and since I had already f_ _ _ _ _up the serial cable and I had replacement terminal. I use the crimp connector in these kits, any male female combination will work. As long as the don’t touch each other.
Then on the power wires I use the push in pins that go into a bus fuse and have a male terminal.
Ground was really easy just find a body ground anywhere close.

The biggest battle in the whole install is getting the cable thru the firewall.
The only option I found was pull the hood release and open the hole up to get everything thru.

Good luck, I plan on doing the rest of the gauge calibration tomorrow as I like to use a lift to get to the rear O2 sensor.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yes, I got it all figured out.

Here’s the deal with the LC-1 lambda cable, it does not wire the same as the LM-1 the wires are different colors and if you bought the XD-1 gauge kit it can be really confusing which cable does what.
The cable that has the stereo plug, is for you to calibrate the gauge or you can use log works but you will more than likely need to buy a USB to serial plug adapter.

My lap top doesn’t have a serial port on it. So, what ever you do don’t cut this cable. I now know this first hand!

The wires that come with the stripped ends are the only ones you have to worry about.

There is a thread on MD that shows the right pin connections and where they go, I’d show you but I’m a little bit challenged when it come to computer stuff.

Three wires go into the 9 pin yellow Analog 1, brown Analog 2, green system ground that it for now.

Then comes the fun part how do you get the wires to stay in the 9 pin and keep them from touching each other. This is up to you.
I choose to cut the female end off the 9 pin and since I had already f_ _ _ _ _up the serial cable and I had replacement terminal. I use the crimp connector in these kits, any male female combination will work. As long as the don’t touch each other.
Then on the power wires I use the push in pins that go into a bus fuse and have a male terminal.
Ground was really easy just find a body ground anywhere close.

The biggest battle in the whole install is getting the cable thru the firewall.
The only option I found was pull the hood release and open the hole up to get everything thru.

Good luck, I plan on doing the rest of the gauge calibration tomorrow as I like to use a lift to get to the rear O2 sensor.
Ok, I'm still not 100% clear on how to connect the Xcal2 and LC-1. Are you saying I should just cut off the female end of the 9 pin cable I just got from FS and connect the loose wires from the 9 pin cable to the loose wires of the LC-1?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did,

but if you can find the right size pin connectors that fit in the 9 pin female connection more power to you.

I looked for a few days and all I got was pissed off. I went to radio shack and computer stores nobody sells the 9 pin.
The pins in the serial connection plug kits are too big.

If you could find the plug kit for the video 15 pin cable they mite work as they appear to be the same size, but I couldn’t find them either.

Your next choice is buy a 15 pin video cable and try to remove the pins without destroying them ,but your going to have to solder the wires together and what not and if they break when you push them in the plug you’ll be starting over again.

Randy can get another 9 pin wire for $10.00 and a 15 pin video cable cost around $30.00.

I took the cheapest way out $1.59 times 4 plus tax at radio shack and it worked.

If I was really thinking I would have bought 2 cables from Randy and spliced the second to the LC-1.

Now that I’ve had a chance to look at it that’s probably the best route.

Am sure there’s more the one way to get the job done just look at it from a couple of different angles and use what you find the easiest. Just take your time!

I gave the wrong page it's not on MD its at SCT flash under XCal2 LC-1 compatability, sorry

=====Pinout of Module====

3. LC-1 Cable connections:

3.1 Out of the LC-1 come 3 cables:

A. Interface and power cables with 7 stripped ends*:

a. Red 12V supply
b. Blue Heater Ground
c. White System Ground
d. Yellow Analog out 1
e. Brown Analog out 2
f. Green Analog Ground
g. Black Calibration wire

B. Serial In connection, 2.5mm stereo (female) marked as IN
C. Serial Out connection, 2.5 mm stereo (female) marked as OUT.

* 3.2 If you have an LC-1 with only 6 stripped ends (early production) the wiring is as follows:

a. Red 12V supply
b. Blue Heater Ground
c. Metallic System Ground
d. Yellow Analog out 1
e. Brown Analog out 2
f. Black Calibration wire

I'm using an LC1 and X2 and it works GREAT!

That pinout diagram is exact. Regarding the cable and which colors go to which:

1_23
_89
(9pinsct) = (LC-1)
brown = analog 1 = pin 8 yellow wire lc-1
blue = 7
red = 9 = analog ground green wire lc-1
green = 6
white = 2
orange = 4
purple = 1
black = 3 = analog 2 brown wire lc-1

The color wires of your cable may be different. I received mine from Justin00stang, who gets his from SCT I believe.

Anyway, I ran the sensor cable up through the shifter boot and then the connector sits under the stereo. I ran the cable under the pass side carpet to the kick panel, where I ran the switched postive to the red wire running to pin 71 of the EEC harness. The blue ground shares the EEC chassis ground.

Program the LC1 using LM Programmer. I changed both tabs (Analog 1 and Analog 2) to show A/F. Input 0v = 8 A/F and 5v = 16 A/F. In Livelink, program Analog 2 with formula 1.6*v+8.

Mine works like a CHARM! Just sent Justin 3 datalogs today so he can put a tune together for me.

PM me with any questions regarding the LC1 and X2.

Can't wait until the X2 can datalog by itself instead of lugging the laptop around with me!

2003 Redfire Cobra

As you cans see from these post splicing the wires is not that hard.

You just need to know what color wire goes with which pin and then any type of fitting can be used.

There's a picture that goes along with the diagram over at SCT Flash but I didn't know how to include it.

That's why I said look and see what works best for you. I hope this answered your question..

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to read thru everything again when I get some free time

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing I forgot is the the green and white ground wires from the LC-1 are both connected to the red ground of the 9pin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts