Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i'm trying to install a ported 2000 intake manifold on a 02 zx3. i've disconnected to battery, removed the TB and the intake pipe section. i'm trying to remove the fuel rail and injectors and it's making me very paranoid. i've removed the 2 bolts that hold it in place and as per instuctions i found here have been trying to remove the whole assmebly via a good tug. the problem is that damned thing won't come off and i don't want to break it. it wiggles around alot so it seems like it should come off faily easily. what do i need to do?
PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
A really big hammer. REALLY BIG! no just kidding. I would take a big screw driver and pry up on it a little. Them o-rings can be a bear sometimes, just needs a little persuation. Just be sure to put a liuttle grease on the o-rings when you are putting it back togeather. It will go togeather so much easier and less risk of messin up an oring.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
yes..they do pop out..as described use a flat head to slowly pop them up out of place..use force..but if you feel as its goin the wrong way or not smoothly coming out then let off the force..

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i got the injector crap off and now i'm unbolting the intake manifold. is there anyway i can remove the passengers side bolt without removing the alternator?

edit- it looks like i could remove that bolt with the proper sized torx socket. am i right in this theory? does anyone know what the torx number is? it looks like a 40.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Stupid Ford couldn't have just stuck with a twelve point
I think you're right but don't quote me cause I haven't done it yet.
just another excuse to buy more tools to me

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
is there anyway i can remove the passengers side bolt without removing the alternator?
Your going to have to remove the alternator from it's bracket. As many of these as I've done I haven't found any way around it. The alternator can be a PITA to remove, what I've found that works best is to losten both alternator bolts about an 1/8 - 1/4 inch, find yourself a fairly long prybar (an angled type works best), place one end on the lostened bolt head and give it a couple of sharp raps with a hammer. The idea here is to force the pinch slider back a bit to free up the pressure on the bracket. The alternator bolts thread into a slider on the alternator ears and they slide inward to pinch (tighten) the alternator to the bracket, the will slide back but it takes a little coaxing. The lower bolt (towards the firewall) doesn't have to be completely removed cause the lower alternator bracket is slotted and you can lift up and back on the alternator to remove it. The upper bolt does need to be completely removed once you've managed to get the slider to moce some.... good luck

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
is there anyway i can remove the passengers side bolt without removing the alternator?
Your going to have to remove the alternator from it's bracket.
NO!!!! You can take the stud out with a torx socket. I did it that way... twas great!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i'm starting to get pissed. is the torx bolt reverse threaded? if not is there ANYTHING i must remove first (like a locking bolt that i cant see) before this damned thing will come loose? it's not budging and it's starting to strip. i double checked to make sure i was using the right socket on the other torx bolt and it loosened up just fine. what is wrong here?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok there are five bolts and two screws. is the one near the alternator a bolt or a screw. i inspected it agin and there seems to be a sheet of metal that the bolt goes through. is there a nut on the other side of it?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
your 1st mani install is the very opposite of your 1st lay...it takes a long time, then after you've done it once, you fly thru it the next time. its worth it though.

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the torx bolt next to the alternator is almost completely stripped.

i'm giving up for tonight and i might try it again tomorrow or i'll just slap everything back together and cut my losses.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
you dont have to use any torx bolts for this...loosen the hex nut thats afixed to that stud your on, not the rev. torx head on the bolt...they go out too easy.

good luck, you can do it

-Ult

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was going to attempt that but there seems to be a metal plate that the torx bolt screws into. behind said plate there is a 1/4" gap so i'm assuming thats were the nut is. do you have any idea how i can access it?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
wait a minute...are there nuts on the outside of the manifold or is it just a stud (cant remember)...if its just the stud...you can get the mani out by just backing the 1 stud (alternator side) out all the way by turnin the nut. the stud will come w/it...

-Ult

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok heres what i'm seeing

][
][===
][
]
]

i know this looks horrible but the ] is the face of the manifold, [ is some kinda mounting braket (maybe for the alternator?) and === is the damnable torx bolt. i'm not seeing any nut at all inless it's hiding between the manifold and the braket in which case i'm screwed because the hex bolt isn't turning and i'm afraid that if i try too much more i'll completely round it off.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
there wasnt a nut that was holdin some ground or accessory wire holder...in that instance, dont take it out...the mani should slide right off it and out. you might need to loosen, and thus drop the alt. to get it out, but those studs dont need to come out, just any nuts that might be present.

-Ult

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, there was but i already took that off. OMG, is it possible that the damned bolt i've been fighting with for the past 2 hours doesn't need to come off? i think i'm gonna shoot myself now.

BTW- i'd just like to thank you and everyone else in this thread for trying to help my inept ass.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, the bolt that i removed does not go into the intake manifold at all. it bolts into the top of the engine near the vavle cover. there is a 2 piece bracket that is held in place (or at least it looks like it) by this bolt and the lower torx bolt. said bracket's top section has what appears to be a ground wire. i removed this to get at the bottom torx bolt which is located approximatly 1 1/4" away from the alternator casing. does this help at all?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yeah okay....leave it, drop the alternator, and she'll come free. i hate that stupid bracket thingy...make mental note of how it went together, i made mistake of havin dinner...comin back and my silly ass couldnt remember how it went back together lol

-Ult

1 - 20 of 25 Posts