Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Just Finished Head Install (You\'ll never guess what the problem was)

2nd O2 sensor (blue one) got messed up somethin awful so it's not in there, but everything else is back on and I started it up the first time and it made a loud BANG (sounded like a backfire) then went on to idle roughly, kinda chugging along. After a short idle time, I would hear a clack every few seconds. Anyone know what might be wrong?!?!

[edit]How I fixed it:

I pulled the passenger side motor mount, valve cover and timing belt cover off. When I pulled the valve cover off, I took a look at the end of the cams, to see how far off they were and noticed that the grooves on the cams (where the alignment tool fits in) were no longer parallel to each other. I thought it was kinda strange, but went on removing things. While I was loosening the tensioner pulley I noticed the A on the exhaust cam gear was partially covered by one of the bolts. I didn't remember it like that when they were off the car, so I looked closer. All five bolts were maxed out in one direction and the exhaust cam was set to retard timing 15 degrees!!!

Turns out the 5 bolts weren't tightened out of the box (I know, I feel completely idiotic for not checking this BEFORE), so when I started the car up, the outer sprocket moved, but the cam didn't and the bolts slammed into their farthest points (hence the one loud BANG).

So, I set the cam back to the neutral mark, bolted it all back up and it runs and idles. It's a bit loud with the 2nd o2 sensor out, but I should have my new one tomorrow, and then I'll be all set!!

Thanks so much for all the help guys! I appreciate it![/edit]

[ 02-04-2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: SuperMatt ]

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: Help! Just Finished Head Install (You\'ll never guess what the problem was)

possible timing concern...did you time the cams properly?

you Started it up with the O2 sensor out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

We set the #1 piston to TDC and set the cams with the alignment tool before we put the timing belt back on.

Yes, I started it up without the 2nd o2 sensor. I got the replacement on the way, but didn't figure it would make a difference as far as running or not...

·
Registered
174 Posts

I drove for a month with my second O2 sensor in a tin can until my o2 cheater arrived. I didnt have any problems other than limp mode after about 10 starts/stop cycles.

[email protected]

·
Registered
427 Posts

Originally posted by SuperMatt:
We set the #1 piston to TDC and set the cams with the alignment tool before we put the timing belt back on.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think your supposed to tension the cam belt before you tighten the cam gear bolts. Here is a quote from Nazthug on proper installation.

Originally posted by nazthug:
ok ONCE AND FOR ALL HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT RIGHT?:

When you go to put it all back together, with the metal bar holding the cams straight, put the cam gears on BUT DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM. Then put the belt on and tighten the belt. THEN tighten the cam gears and finally take out the tool

This way, when you put the belt back on, it usually doesnt go on totally evenly and you have to pull one side of it to fit. If the cam gears are bolted tight, this will suck, because after you take the cam tool out, right away, your cams are goonna move out of place. SO put the belt on before you tighten the gears. Let the belt settle and pull the gears whichever wway, when it is nice and snug, then tighten the gears, you will get it perfect every time this way

GOOD LUCK
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
401 Posts

same thing happened to me after a FC stage 2 head install. Its your timing belt. You are going to have to reset the cams and TDC. Then tension the belt befoe you tighten down the cam gear bolts. I assure you that this is the problem. I have had to adjust my cams so many times during my cylinder head fiasco that i can do it with my eyes closed. Good luck. Email me if you need anything more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks guys! I talked with Nader and he basically confirmed this as well. Here's where I went wrong on the install:

I had the piston at TDC and the cam gears in with the alignment tool. (The cams have dowels so they won't spin even if the bolts aren't tightened.)

We got the belt on and there was slack on the right (non-adjusting pulley side) side. We couldn't figure out how to tension this side, so I turned the crank pulley a bit and the tension was fine, so I assumed this was right.

Now, it looks like I have to set the piston back to TDC, loosen the adj cam gear and get the cams back to 0 that way. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Fixed! Edited my first post with all the info!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

same thing happened when I installed my cams/gears
But after my test run we noticed it when we popped the hood.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Originally posted by SYMBIOTIX:
I drove for a month with my second O2 sensor in a tin can until my o2 cheater arrived. I didnt have any problems other than limp mode after about 10 starts/stop cycles.

[email protected]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">what actualy happens in limp mode? i know i cut out 2 cylinders, but what else?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

Dont confuse a Check Engine Light as going limp mode, they are 2 different things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts