Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k I have a problem. Since I've put on my mods I've been expering LOWER gas milage (and no it's not because I'm on the throttle). With each mod (JBA Header, Volant Intake, Bosal Flex Pipe, Borla Cat-Back,SVT Snorkel) my gas milage has dropped ruffley 20mpg per mod! So basically I was wondering if it could be one or a combination of:

1. A leak between the header and head/cat.
2. A leak where the EGR connects to the cat.
3. Possibly running rich or lean?

Does anybody of any suggestions of what the problem might be? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did you reset the ECU? It is worth a shot, just unhook the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes, and let the ECU relearn itself to your mods.

Josh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sorry
not 20mpg 20 mpt...but still that's quite a drop...I don't think that'll I'll make past 200 220 this tank....Yes Ive reset the computer after every mod...It's a 2002 when I first got it I was averging 270 280....That's a 50 to 60 dropp pet tank I've used the same gas since I've had the car. I can't really think of anything else besides what I've stated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And my mods in order...Volant, a week later the header, a couple days later the exhaust/flex pipe, Ive had them on since Jun. and this past weekend the svt snorkel.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I think you need to take a real good look at what you've added since nothing sounds like it should have caused you these kind of fuel mileage drops. You must have a vaccuum leak or something out of whack with the EGR. ****, I've installed a JRSC, Race header, FCTB, and 70mm MAF and I'm still getting 30 - 31 MPG (about 310 per fill up) and I don't drive easy by any means. Good luck in finding the problem.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Man i got volant, fc tb, magnaflow, fs udp and im am getting 20mpg

b4 i put it all on my cat burnt up and ford replaced it ever since then and b4 i put all my mods on i was gettin 20 mpg, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i have a 2002 SE w/zetec auto and i get a consistent 24-26 in mixed driving. my all time high was 360 to a tank, which was like 32 mpg. it all depends. i drive real hard too.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
dude, first off, get some UDPS, I had the worlds worst gas mileage and once I got those it went up drastically, if you have an auto you might have some slippage as well, I did, it hurt my gas mileage as well, and yes, I would check thouroghly for leaks. I need to do the same, but other than that I don't know what to say, when you get down to 160 per tank with normal driving you've hit rock bottom

·
Registered
30 Posts
man... i get the same damn thing... a couple of months ago, i was averaging about 28 to 29 mpg. Now i am averaging about 20 to 23. ford tells me that this is normal.... nothing changed on mine. just started dropping out of the blue. my DPFE sensor went out and ford fixed that, but since then, i put 17's on with a 205-40 tire on it. do not know if _that_ is keeping me in the low range. any ideas?????

bloomer

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just STARTED averaging 20-23 MPG. Previously, I was LUCKY to get 17-19 in stock form.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny, I was just wondering about this the other day. My car used to get around 300-340 miles per fill up (I usually fill up whenever the fuel light comes on, which I have figured to be about the 10 gallon mark). NE ways, now for no apparent reason i am getting like 240-270 miles per fill up. I haven't added anything to my car in a while, so I guess this "normalness" that F
rd is claiming may be right.? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
258 Posts
quite a few of us on the same boat, eh?

my gas milage has dropped since I installed the intake, exhaust, and spark plugs. although at this point I can't really tell for sure as I haven't been consistent enough to get a good idea. but by the end of this week, things should go back to normal.

btw, how do you check for leaks?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by dan-d:
I think you need to take a real good look at what you've added since nothing sounds like it should have caused you these kind of fuel mileage drops. You must have a vaccuum leak or something out of whack with the EGR. ****, I've installed a JRSC, Race header, FCTB, and 70mm MAF and I'm still getting 30 - 31 MPG (about 310 per fill up) and I don't drive easy by any means. Good luck in finding the problem.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">how the hel do you get that kinda milage? i get about 23mpg and 260miles on a tank probably more if pushed it. my only mod is a steeda ram air intake and mach headlights. i bet if i drove like a grandma i woould get 310mpg. and by the way i had a scanner and was scanning the car and found the intake air temp to be 137

·
Registered
210 Posts
This might be of interest. I just replaced my Borla cat-back system with the Flowmaster cat-back and got an instant 2 mpg increase. My low and mid power is back with overall better performance. The Borla is a nice system to look at but is a waste of $$$$ IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am a little dissapointed in my gas mileage. My 98 Z28 gets better MPG on the highway. Focus does better in town though

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, I feel really good about my milage now! I normally get around 370 to 400 mpt. My record was 403, maybe could have gone a little more, but didn't want to run out. The only thing I have done is added a k&n air filter to the stock air box. BTW, I have a 2001 automatic. I try and stay below take off speed most of the time, but when on the innerstate I hate being blown past by some young punk in a jap trap. I was thinking about doing some of the mods I read in hear, but now after seeing how everyone's milage is suffering I'm rethinking that idea.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had my mods on since early summer ( Volant, Bosal flex-n-catback, Diablo ) and have added approximately 60 to 100 mpt to what I had been getting over the first year of having my 01 ZX3... granted, my hardest driving is around town ( gotta love taking corners with that Eibach Pro-Kit ) and I rarely crack 75 on the highway, but I've been nothing short of pleased since I did my mods... especially since there is a gas station in town that is constantly underselling his premium gas...

·
Registered
713 Posts
don't blame the mods , don't blame the driving habits, glue your hair back on . it's fall now and it's the time of year the petroleum companies start using "the winter blends" . every car /truck i've ever owned has lost MPG from august thru mid april . if in the spring the MPG hasn't begun to improve , god help me , buy a bicycle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts