Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2001 zx3 5 speed. Mods I have is Iceman and Ford Racing UDP (not installed yet).
What I would like to achive is the following:

0-60 in about 7 seconds, and 1/4 about 15.6!???

1. I will upgrade suspension, most likely to SVT one, since I don't race.
2. Also I do a lot of highway travel, and would like some pull at 3000 rpms, so I don't have to downhift to get passing power.

3. Also I don't want noise, and would keep the cat (may be change to a high flow cat, but that's it, so no race headers). I know they give a lot of power, but it's my decision not to get them.

I was thinking I can add some quiet exhaust, like Bosal, Apexi-WS, or Focussport quiet system.
Then port my TB, just for more responce.

With such mods, what approximately my 0-60 time will be, and will I loose low end tq with the exhaust!?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by sherych:
Hi, I have a 2001 zx3 5 speed. Mods I have is Iceman and Ford Racing UDP (not installed yet).

2. Also I do a lot of highway travel, and would like some pull at 3000 rpms, so I don't have to downhift to get passing power.

3. Also I don't want noise, and would keep the cat (may be change to a high flow cat, but that's it, so no race headers). I know they give a lot of power, but it's my decision not to get them.

I was thinking I can add some quiet exhaust, like Bosal, Apexi-WS, or Focussport quiet system.

With such mods, what approximately my 0-60 time will be, and will I loose low end tq with the exhaust!?? Thanks in advance
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, just remembered, may be cam gears, and some cams, that aren't agressive, since I need low end punch. But with gears you supposedely can find a good compromise between high low and mid-range.
well, you thoughts??

·
Registered
138 Posts
get a fc 65mm tb ,fc or fs flexpipe, fs exhaust, chip, shorty header and u should be there if u can drive. most likely a little faster

·
Registered
138 Posts
on cams it depends on what u want sg 1 for low to mid range power. or sg 2 with more mid to top range power. its more on how u want your car to drive. both make about the same power just in different parts of the powerband hopes this helps u and good luck

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by sherych:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well you're going to have an aweful hard time breaking 15's with the stock cat (assuming you're staying NA.)

for NA you're going to want to go with a high flow cat if not ORP or Race header, cams (stage 2 for 3000rpm+ hp gains), cam gears, chip. that should put you right where you want to be.

a more simple solution is FI/nitrous. it all depends on how you want to spend your money. you could do it part by part with NA and end up spending as much as just dropping it all on a supercharger/turbo setup that would wield much more power. most of us, however, don't have the ability to dump the 1000's of dollars necessary to go FI all at once.

Nate

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
dont tune that car up very far w/that stock cat. u'll kill it and u need it 4 sniffer tests (if app.). 1st things 1st, get a catback of ur choosin and add a flex 2 that. then assess what u want 2 replace the stock cat (highflow cat, ORP, or race header). then jump further into the engine mod stuff.

oh btw, i'm gettin a kami race header and its quieter than the random cat i have now w/stock header...and this is w/a silenced bosal. just fyi...

and remember...

dont do much of any mods w/that stock cat in place, u'll lose power and more importantly u'll kill it.

-Ult

[ 01-27-2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
dont tune that car up very far w/that stock cat. u'll kill it and u need it 4 sniffer tests (if app.). 1st things 1st, get a catback of ur choosin and add a flex 2 that. then assess what u want 2 replace the stock cat (highflow cat, ORP, or race header). then jump further into the engine mod stuff.

oh btw, i'm gettin a kami race header and its quieter than the random cat i have now w/stock header...and this is w/a silenced bosal. just fyi...

and remember...

dont do much of any mods w/that stock cat in place, u'll lose power and more importantly u'll kill it.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the info!
So I think I will add exhaust and Flex pipe first.
Then will port the TB, and see what I get. I don't need high end power, I want the car just to be more fun on the street, and on the freeway.
May be later I will add a header, but that's a tough decision, since shorty will have small gains, and will cause more heat at the engine compartment, also probably it will kill the stock cat faster!??? So thanks for the input. I know now, that I will open the exhaust a bit.
One last ? is will I lose the low end power 2..3K range with exhaust and a flex pipe!??? I looked at the FS dyno of their system (on a web site) and it doesn't look like they lost tq with it!???
Well thanks again for you comments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts