Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't for a Focus but it sounds like a general question anyone could answer.

My GF's 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee wouldn't start this morning. When you put the key in the ignition, the lights all work and the voltage is normal (~14). When you turn the key, the volatge drops to about 8, the belts are turning, car sounds like it wants to start, but no ignition. I tried jumping it with my car and it's been on the battery charger for a few hours and still no luck.

Any guesses? I'm trying to save her the money of having it towed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jeeps of this time frame are famous for engine computer failures. Usually, you start having problems with the power locks (don't know why) then other little electrical things, then dead. Hope I'm wrong, but when I was an auto broker, this was common among Grand Cherokees from the early 90's. Usually started giving trouble between 70-90,000 miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Jeeps of this time frame are famous for engine computer failures. Usually, you start having problems with the power locks (don't know why) then other little electrical things, then dead. Hope I'm wrong, but when I was an auto broker, this was common among Grand Cherokees from the early 90's. Usually started giving trouble between 70-90,000 miles.
How eerily familiar...

My parents' '93 Grand Cherokee wigged out a couple years ago, at maybe 85,000 miles, and it turned out that the fuel pump wasn't coming on until the ignition had been in "run" for 25 seconds. So it would start just fine if you turned on the ignition for a half-minute before starting the car, but if you got in and tried to start it up without waiting, it would just crank and crank. Turned out to be a problem with the computer.

Aside from verifying that you're getting fuel and spark, I don't have much advice to offer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts