Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me pick the right wheels (don\'t understand sizes)

OK, so I like the look of the 6 spoke, '04 SVT wheels however Function > form, with out being ugly.

1. I'd like to bump the wheels out a little to make them a little more flush with the wheel wells

2. I wouldn't mind going a little wider either 7.5 maybe?8"????

3. I think I need to stay with a 17" rim. (I'm going with a 2" drop from apex springs)

4. I wouldn't want to go any heavier than stock 16" '05 ST wheels. (For performance reasons)

5. I do NOT want to make the handling of the car worse.

What I don't understand very well is the relationship between width, offset, center-line & handling.

Can you please make some suggestions to either specific wheels, and or possible wheel size / dimentions that I should consider to achieve my goals?

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Help me pick the right wheels (don\'t understand sizes)

To push the wheel out I would go with a -45mm offset, compared to the -49mm offset of the SVT EAP Wheel. Though if you go with a smaller offset than a wheel that is 7.5" wide may be too wide for you. I would not look at any wheels with an 8" width. I would reccomend a 17x7.5 rim with a 45mm offset w/ 215/40/17 tires or a 17x7 rim with a 42mm offset w/215/40/17 (my current setup)

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts

You could always get the 6-spoke SVT wheels, and then run a 5mm spacer to step them out, giving you the look you would prefer. That would effectively change their offset from 49mm to 44mm which is right in the sweet spot.

With a 2" drop, a 7.5" wheel may be too wide depending on your tire choice - I'd suggest nothing bigger than a 215/40-17. An 8" wide wheel will most definitely be too large unless you are looking to stretch the tires which I doubt. A 7" wide wheel is probably ideal.

If I were you, I would be looking for a 17x7 in the 42-45mm offset range. I don't have many suggestions, but luckily a lot of wheels that fit our wacky bolt patter will fall within that range.

>8^)
ER

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If I go with the SVT wheels & 5mm spacer what's that going to do to handling / bump-steer & that kind of stuff? I heard that fooling with the centerline of the wheel would change things.

What are the measurements for the stock rims on my '05 ST?

To keep handling the same, if I go with less (?) offset, shouldn't I try to compensate with a wider wheel? (to keep the centerline in the same place)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

I don't think anyone has passed on info on the '05 ST wheels yet, but I'm going to comfortably assume that they are within spec of the pre-'05 16" wheel spec.

I'm going to suggest a 17x7 with 42mm offset wheel, with a 215/40/17 tire. Considering all your demands, this makes the most sense. I have a set of Velox VX-6R wheels, in these same specs, and I've ran the wheels with both 2" springs from BATinc. and Spax coilovers set down to about the same, if not slightly lower than, the 2" springs. I never experienced any hard rubbing. Very slight rubbing when turning at excessive speeds and forces.

In addition, the 42mm offset I thought was perfect, in terms of pushing out the wheel in order to be as comfortably flush with the fender wall as can be. The look is perfect IMO.

And it just so happens...my wheels are for sale
PM me if at all interested.

But in any case, I'd really suggest a wheel in that spec.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the info- that really helps. I'd look into your wheels but I'm putting the money into Marcy's header / flex pipe deal. This is research I've been meaning to do for a while, but the purchase is going to have to wait a bit unfortunately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts