Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has an old '86 Toyota Camry. The thing is on it's last leg, but she doesn't have a ton of money, so the idea is a sensible but effective repair to buy her some decent time with the car.

Her exhaust pipe is rusted, cracking, and almost completely separated in one location. The problem is mostly located in one spot, at a bend just before a flange.

I was thinking if I could buy a 1 foot section of exhaust pipe with the same bend & a flange, I could cut out the rusted piece, slip the new pipe over the old & bolt at the flange. Then use some exhaust putty to fill the gaps around where the two pipes meet. But I haven't had a chance yet to look at even IF finding a generic section of pipe with a flange & the propper bend would be possible.

How much would an exhaust shop REASONABLY charge to bandaid fix this thing? She got quoted $400, but I think they were trying to take advantage of her.

I appreciate any help, thanks!
J

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why not unbolt it at the flange, get a replacement pipe with flange,bend, etc, and just splice in a piece of the new pipe to a solid section of the old. The old probably ties in to the muffler, and you'll only break that up trying to get it off.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's basically what I was trying to suggest. Probably CUT the bolts at the flange, and splice in a new piece w/ new bolts. The muffler is on the other side of the flange, and the rusted / cracked piece is the bend on the side of the flange opposite the muffler.

But for $400, I could get the best performance tuned, stainless steel exhaust system made for the focus. I just can't see how an old '86 camry would require $400 just for a bandaid fix. But I have no idea what it costs to get that kind of repair done. If I had a ballpark idea, then I'd feel more confident taking the car to a place & letting them do the work.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
muffler tape

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought of that but because of the location & extent of the problem muffler tape wouldn't quite work on the original pipe.

What I've come up with so far:
From the local auto supply I bought a prefab replacement pipe that runs flange to flange for that section of the exhaust ($90 w/bolts & gaskets.)

But the car probably isn't worth a hundred bucks so I'm REALLY looking to do this on the cheap. So what I've got in mind:

I want to buy some generic pieces to make a small section with a flange at one end, and use muffler tape to seal the other end with the original pipe fitting a few inches inside the new piece. I'd like to get this project complete for less than $50.

If anyone can lend any helpful suggestions I'd still love to hear. I probably won't do the work till monday.

question: How much would it cost to have an exhaust shop weld a single joint?

make a single bend?

Add a flange?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
wjat about a thin piece of sheet metal and some clamps? bend the metal around the damged section of the pipe and clamp it in place.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I had a pic to show you. It just isn't that simple unless I used something REALLY flexible, like aluminum foil.

the bend is RIGHT at the flange. The bend is basically rusted so bad that the pipe broke into 2 pieces there. But it's so close to the flange, tape, or sheet metal or any of the standard quick fixes would be too problematic to be effective.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish, not this time around though.

I THINK I found something that might work very well though actually! I found a piece of FLEXIBLE exhaust pipe about a foot & a half long for six bucks!! That with a generic flange adapter, & some muffler tape & I'm good to go! I'm optimistic about this new option. I can cut out the rusted section this way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
400 is alot since my friends just got a complete exhaust system from the cat back including muffler for 116 bucks. the piping was 3" stainless and the welds they put on were pretty good. i would get more estimates

1 - 10 of 10 Posts