Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, might\'ve screwed up

I was in the process of putting some more "show" mods on my GF's 2001 ZX3, Namely a trim bezel and an indiglo gauge overlay. Well, I couldnt get the needles off, after slightly pulling, so I just sild the over lay over the needles, while holding the gauge pod close to its mounting position as I was told to tilt it or lay it down for very long was bad juju. Anyways, got the overlay in place, wired up, all put back together, looks awesome. Kick the car on, gauges do their lil dance, and then "uhoh". The speedo needle does its hop, then goes back to bottom stop peg, then goes back up and sits on about 32 mph. Took car for a drive thinking its stuck on the overlay, NEGATIVE!! All other parts of the cluster work great (tach, fuel, temp, lights). HELP!!!! Did I really (*Y(*^^&^&^%% up this time? or is this something that can be repaired? Help, before my live in booty cuts me off cause I messed up her car!!!!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Re: Help, might\'ve screwed up

when your driving, does the speedometer needle move at all?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

NO, the speedo needle isnt moving at all.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

have you tried resetting the guages?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

Take a close look at the overlay and make sure it's not hitting the needle, mine was when I installed mine, I had to pull the needle up alittle, I also used double sided clear tape to hold the overlay down.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

I tried doublesided tape on mine but I couldnt get it to stick! the needle would drag on the face and get stuck occasionally, especially if it was cold out. I used Krazy glue to hold the face down, no more problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes, I checked to make sure the needle isnt dragging. How do you reset the gauges?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

now that the guage has had time to settle, if that was the problem, you can sweep the needles by holding in the trip reset button as you start the car. when you let go or maybe its when you hit the button again, the needles will sweep. that might be enough to get it back on track.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

Or you could disconnect the Battery for a few...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

LOL....well.....After doing all of the suggestions, still no dice. I went to the dealer and spoke with my buddy in the parts dept. As soon as I told him what it was doing, he laughed and said " Let me get you the price on a new cluster". At my business discount, will only be $230. BUT, I have to give them the VIN and the mileage
off the odometer. OOOOOps....I just happened to drop the screwdriver on the LCD screen...and the mileage is only 26k....LMFAO

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts

Well, I'm not sure if you know this, but they can find out your mileage if they hook up that $80.00 an hour computer to it, and you know they will, for at least an hour and a half... but, if it all goes well, then send me the old cluster and I can have a cool car if I can fix it!!!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

it would be easy to fix. just pull the actuall speedometer guage off the cluster and replace it with the one from yours. problem solved.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well, I'm not sure if you know this, but they can find out your mileage if they hook up that $80.00 an hour computer to it, and you know they will, for at least an hour and a half... but, if it all goes well, then send me the old cluster and I can have a cool car if I can fix it!!!
LMFAO!!!!! They arent hooking my cars up to NUTHIN!!!! They can stick that machine up their collective arses. They are NOT installing the new cluster, I AM!!!! My buddy in the parts dept knows this, so he will get me the cluster with the mileage I tell him it was after I dropped that big nassy hammer on it.......

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

ok I dunno bout u... but odometer rollback is a pretty serious thing... and can get you in bigtime trouble!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

ok I dunno bout u... but odometer rollback is a pretty serious thing... and can get you in bigtime trouble!!!
Ok, I can see that MOST on here have no sense of humor. I WAS JOKING!!! A prescribed statement to illicit a desired response, aka a LAUGH, a GIGGLE. Of course I am not gonna mess with the odo readings, JEEESH....lighten up.

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts

HA! we did'nt really know, but if you're serious about getting a new one and want to get rid of the borken one, pm me and we can go over the details. thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts