Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i put the key in and it just wont turn, no matter what i do? i have a 2000 ZX3 with an MTX, please help, i am very upset

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
2000 ZX3, if the key won't turn your ignition switch is trashed. Well known issue and pretty common problem, requires a tow to the dealer to fix. don't know if it's a recall or TSB you can get fixed for free or if they'll charge you a lot of cash to fix it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the key wont even turn

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any idea how much this is gonna cost me to fix?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a real common thing to go wrong on a vehicle that is only five years old?

·
6,880 Posts
It was really common when they were only a year or two old! It was happening back in '01 and '02! It's usually accompanied by the key getting stuck in the ignition. Is it stuck?

If it isn't stuck (i.e. you can pull it out), first try a second key (you have a second key, right?) and fail that, call a locksmith instead. your key might be worn out or something. If you have a lot of stuff on your keychain, it can wear out the ignition cylinder or key a lot faster. A locksmith might be able to cut you a new key or re-key your existing lock.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah both of my keys wont turn in the ignition, the last time the car was turn off the key came out it little hard but nothing really unusual

·
6,880 Posts
If it came out with difficulty, then it's the same issue.

Try graphite powder. a few puffs of it at a time, then work the key in and out. Then repeat until you have about 10 puffs of graphite in there. Get locksmith grade graphite at the hardware store. Make sure it's the powdered kind, not liquid.

My ZX3 did it ONCE but when I got the key out after a lot of work, it didn't do it again. I graphited the cylinder though, and it's never happened to me since.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how would this help when the key wont move, where do i get the both kinds of powder?

·
6,880 Posts
Just graphite powder. when you puff it into the keyhole and move the key in and out, it will get into the inner workings of the lock. Graphite will then lubricate (in a dry way, not a messy, dust-attracting way like oil) the lock and maybe help it turn. If that doesn't work though, you have to drill the lock to replace it which can be dangerous (you might end up ruining and having to replace the whole steering column), or have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im just going to bring it to my dealer and have them do it i really just dont want to risk screwing any thing up and having then to pay more in the long run.......i just dont trust myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts