Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving last night and I got hit from thunderstorm on the road. Somehow my engine suck water from the CAI and after it stalled.I pull on the right of the road and waited untill the storm passed.I took off the plugs and I crank the engine so the water can get out from cylinders.I put back the plugs I start the engine and I hear the clanky noise from the engine and I feel a vibration in about 3000 rpm and over.Not bad but you can tell.No idle problems or rough operation.But the clunky noise is there.I asked a couple of mechanics and they told me I bend a rod.
Now how can I check this? I have a full coverage insurance, is any posibility to pay for the damage? Is that can be covered from ford ?
(The car is back to stock)
Please any saggestions are welcome.Also if anyone know how much can cost me? What I need to change ?
If nathing work I 'll do it my self.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ur gonna wanna pull the motor apart...but a perfect idle and all with a bent rod...i dunno...and for the rod to bend from that. it doesn't add up at all

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monday I am taking the motor apart to find out.I rent a car for a week.I am real stressed about it.
I am confused a bit with what to do.If I need rods I am gonna change the pistons and etc with forged.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Originally posted by GioDiGreek:
Monday I am taking the motor apart to find out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wouldn't start tearing into the motor without trying a compression test at least. Even better a leak down.
Zetec rods don't bend much, they break. The SPI I'm not sure about but that's alot of work if you find out it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I 'll do the compression test also.Mechanics scared me.I asked about 5 of them all they say the same thing.I know ZETEC is a strong motor thats why I am hopping.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take it back to ford if it is now back to stock there is no way they can say that you did anything unless they are searching for it...

But as cheap as ford it they probably will search for something then say well we found this missing did you do any mods just say no

·
Registered
803 Posts
From AerochargerJims old post on rods I really doubt you bent one. He saw no flex and then a catsrophic explosion when using a press on one. Search in the Forced Inductino forums for htat post and you may rething your bent rod.

·
Registered
745 Posts
if it was related to hydro-lock than ttaking off your CAI and bringing it in won't help...it wouldn't be covered under warrenty since it was an "act of nature" it would be covered under insurance.

·
Registered
745 Posts
also no engine is stong enough to survive hydro-lock...something has to give....its just a matter of what, and how much that piece will cost.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but if the design of the CAI caused it to suck in water, why would Ford be expected to cover the cost of the engine repair under warranty? I'd think whoever designed and manufactured the CAI would be responsible for any damage their system caused. Or am I missing something obvious here????

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Jeepsbeme:
This may sound like a stupid question, but if the design of the CAI caused it to suck in water, why would Ford be expected to cover the cost of the engine repair under warranty? I'd think whoever designed and manufactured the CAI would be responsible for any damage their system caused. Or am I missing something obvious here????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The maker of the CAI is most likely not liable simply because they put disclaimers somewhere. Their product did not void the warranty, either. Also, I doubt Ford is liable because the damage was caused by an aftermarket product. Sounds like a bad situation to me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by orndog:
[QBThe maker of the CAI is most likely not liable simply because they put disclaimers somewhere. Their product did not void the warranty, either. Also, I doubt Ford is liable because the damage was caused by an aftermarket product. Sounds like a bad situation to me.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">but this is why he states that he put the car back to stock form, hopefully ford is none the wiser

·
Registered
181 Posts
Eh the people at ford tend to be both stupid and overly cautious at the same time. Stupid in the form that they can't fix anything well. But overtly cautious in the form that they are very good at detecting the presence of aftermarket.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by Gregersonsalvage:
Eh the people at ford tend to be both stupid and overly cautious at the same time. Stupid in the form that they can't fix anything well. But overtly cautious in the form that they are very good at detecting the presence of aftermarket.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">unfortunately on both accounts

·
Registered
213 Posts
did u actually have water come out or are you just thinking that was what happened. I thought I lost all my oil through the breather filter a couple weeks back and it turned out my engine was cracked

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Originally posted by Jeepsbeme:
This may sound like a stupid question, but if the design of the CAI caused it to suck in water, why would Ford be expected to cover the cost of the engine repair under warranty?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No doubt.

[ 12-10-2002, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts