Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did do a search but nothing relates to my problem.

I was driving last week and went to turn on my A/C and it did not come on. Neither did the heat. The light for the A/C didn't come on either. But the Recirc air and defroster lights do work.

I got home and checked the fuses in the car and under the hood and they all seemed fine. I replaced the necessary fuses just in case and still nothing. I even replaced the blower motor and am still having the same problem!

The car is not overheating and none of the blower settings are working AT ALL. Could it be one of the relays? I tried to check them but I never messed with them before so I didn't really know what to look for.

I will try looking into the resistors and switches. If they're bad, is it obvious to tell? Do they look burnt?

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
If that fuse is fine, then check your HVAC Fan switch and wiring. Remove the radio and triangular bezel, and you will have access to the back of the knob.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks. I got all that stuff off, now what am i looking for? All the lines seem good. Nothing burnt out or anything. Do I need to check the plastic thing on the driver's side that they connect to?
Do I need a multimeter? I've did alot of DIY's but this is the first a/c thing I've messed with.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Okay, first off I'd like to apologize for resurrecting this thread from the grave.

I'm having similar problems to focusnyc, except that all my function lights work as they should, I just get no moving air in any switch position. I have not yet replaced the blower motor, but all the fuses in the fuse box are fine.

Any ideas as to what may have been the cause?

Another wrinkle...On the drive home from the grocery store a couple hours ago, the blower did indeed kick on. I only noticed when it went off again, of course.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had the EXACT problem described here. I have not undertaken the visual inspection of the HVAC control box yet, but am going to this weekend. PLS let me know what either you had to replace/repair in order to fix this issue. I am so tired of my girlfriend complaining about no A/C! If anyone cares to know, I have 133K miles on my Focus. Thanx in advance.....Joshua

·
Banned
1,227 Posts
Its the "Heater Resistor" , I replaced mine about a month ago because my HVAC fan would only work at full blast ( #4). I got mine on Ebay for like $15 , just did a search and theres one for sale. To replace it you remove the glove box and trace the wiring from your HVAC panel towards the firewall on the passenger side of the car, pop off the electronic plug, take out the 1 screw and replace with the new part. Should only be a 10min job.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I will give this a shot, but my fan does not work at all. I had the heat on one day on the freeway, hit the brakes, and changed the fan speed, and the fan only worked if I held it @ 3.5 speed. I had to hold it between 3&4 to get it to work. Soon the fan stopped working altogether, and it still does not function. Only the recirc and rear defrost buttons will work. The A/C button will not come on, and the led will not light up. I will let you all know if this solves the problem. Thanx again.....Josh.Lo

·
Registered
149 Posts
The heater resistor was not the problem, the switch for the fan speed selector needed to be replaced. The wires melted through the housing, and deemed the switch inoperable. I has been told that typically it is not both the resistor and the switch, it tends to be one or the other. I was made aware that a failing resistor can cause one of the switches to fail, and vice versa. Anyone who has this issue should examine the HVAC surround and all the switches and relays that plug into it before ordering any parts. When replacing/installing electronic parts I would recommend using a small amount of dialectic grease on the electrical connections. It is rediculous how easily and cheaply my A/C problem was fixed! I drove around for nearly 2 mos. with this issue, and all I needed was 10 minutes and 2 parts with a combined cost of $17!! Thanx to all for the help and suggestions.......Peace.....Joshua

1 - 8 of 8 Posts