Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the story

I was a little bored today, so i figured i'd break my car.

i wanted to check my cam timing with TDC. i have adjustable cam gears and the installation tools for them (the cam alignment ones)...

so i pull the valve cover, pull the spark plugs, and set the car to TDC. the cams are almost perfectly on center, so i back off TDC about 1/2 degree, and put in the alignment tool. , yep, they both are in place. so i, move the car back to TDC using a wrench, think better of it (i'm gonna dyno tune soon anyway) and put the car back together. now i want to note that when the alignment tool was in the cams, the belt was on the gears, the gears were tight, and i moved the crank about 1 degree, and then back, because i thought better of it.

put everything back together, and the car idles rough, like it's missing. i shut her down, and check the plug wires. they are all on fine.. check again, still does it.

pull the plugs, notice that they have different part numbers (if anyone could tell me which one goes where, this might be my problem. i tried some different configurations, but it always did the missing / rough idle thing).

put the car all back together after i check my plugs (noticing they are different).. and still does it.

i decide to let her run for a bit, take her up and down the road to see if i can get a CEL or something to figure out what is going on... nothing.

so bring her back, do it all over again (looking for problems.)... now it's dark, i'm pissed, and i have no [censored] clue what to do.
this is my baby. i need her.

please help.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Good luck man. I exhausted all my ideas on IM.
At least if its cam settings you could fix that on the dyno!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it's the cam settings it would be easier to fix.. but i sounds like she is MISSING....

like a rough idle.. then when you throttle on it sounds like a big rig using the engine brake.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
what wrong with the jake brake noise? i wish i could make that noise. so let me get this straight? you didn't change anything? you were gona f' with it bought thought better of it and put it back?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exactly. i was going to mess around with the timing of it, but figured i would NOT do it, i had maybe moved the crank 1 degree, then moved it back.

i think maybe the spark plugs are not in the right cylinders? there are 2 kinds. i have two with an E, and two without. (double plat/ plat) is there a specific order for these?

i dont know.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
i am sure they go in a specific hole but i would not wory about it. what i would do is relaxe a bit cause i would be pissed and then go back and fix your cams like you just put them in.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the cams are stock... so you say set the car to TDC, put in the cam alignment tool, then remove and reinstall my cam gears? i dont know man... this just seems wierd.
my fiancee is bringing me to work now, so i'll be able to NOT drive it today, and then work on it when i come home.

would a timing light (my friend has one) be of any help? i'm not sure.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for kicks, does ANYONE know which plugs go in which cylinders? I think they are motorcraft 3FZ and 3FZE.. one is a double plat, and one is a single. that would be the simplest route to start with... hopefully i get a response before i get home from work...

if i put those in the right spots and it still does it (i suspect it will), i'm going to pull the valve cover again, set the car to TDC, put in the alignment tools for the cams, and remove the cam gears and try reinstalling them. even tho it WONT CHANGE A THING it will be 'progress'.

i HAD to mess with it. the car was running perfect. i had 'butt dynoed' my cam gears, and was waiting to go to the real dyno, and i'm bored yesterday so i [censored] it all up.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Just for kicks, does ANYONE know which plugs go in which cylinders?
Aren't they all the same? Just the wires need to be connected properly... right?

I'm betting you're not @ TDC when you think you are... do you have a TDC tool?

But if its a misfire... I'd really look hard at those wires again.. they're real tricky sunzufbeotches!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have a TDC tool... maybe i'm not using it right. and yes, i have 32F and 32FE plugs. i just called ford and they said one of the plug's gaps may have messed up, causing the problem.

To find TDC i am inserting the TDC tool in cylinder 1 and turning the engine until the little rod comes up to a point and doesn't go up anymore. is that how you do it?

i priced out the 32FE's as well... $10.40 each.

i have the ford racing 9mm plug wires, and i am sure they are on correct. that was the first thing i checked.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
it sounds silly, but when i took my wires out last, some [censored] that was laying on my valve cover got in the hole and was causing a misfire in #4. the wire couldn't get a good connection with the plug...had to get a vacuum to get it out. it sounded a lot like what you describe...big rumbly V-8 idle

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
i have a TDC tool... maybe i'm not using it right. and yes, i have 32F and 32FE plugs. i just called ford and they said one of the plug's gaps may have messed up, causing the problem.

To find TDC i am inserting the TDC tool in cylinder 1 and turning the engine until the little rod comes up to a point and doesn't go up anymore. is that how you do it?

i priced out the 32FE's as well... $10.40 each.

i have the ford racing 9mm plug wires, and i am sure they are on correct. that was the first thing i checked.
the tdc tool is used with a degree wheel. you put the tool in. you turn the engine till it stops. set the wheel at 0 degress off of a timing indicator. then turn the engine the other way untill it stops. take the reading off the wheel. divid the reading in half. and move just the wheel to that point. then repet checking your work.

the other way to do it is use a straw. stick it in the spark plug hole untill it touches the piston. turn the crank untill the straw just stops going up. thats tdc. (well close enough to it)

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that sounds like the tool i have. i bought the stuff from new edge... it was set to TDC... i did the turn it till it stops going up, and since you have a little bit of turn when it's at the top, i go about half.

anyway. guess what the problem was?

a AFZ 32FE (one of the double plats) was bad. looked fine. no cracks, gapped right... wasn't sparking. bought a new one at the dealership and problem solved.

as always, thanks for your help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts