Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BACKGROUND: I got into an fender bender accident a few weeks ago. From my initial inspection, the only major damage was a bent ball joint off the RIGHT/Passenger side control arm. So that's all I ordered, a new control arm and front control arm bushings to go along (thought I might as well since I'm already taking it off).

So today was the day I was going to swap both control arms out (both sides since I'm doing bushings).

PROBLEM: After taking off the left/driver's side arm first, I noticed the tie rod is quite stiff. Very tight feeling and doesn't move unless I volutarily use a given amount of force.

I proceed to the right/passenger side...the damamged side. I take off the sway bar bolt and then the get to the tie rod bolt. Now first of all, I have a hard time because the hex part of the bolt begins to strip as I try loosening. I finally get it off with an impact gun but when I take it off, I notice that the threaded part of the bolt is bent a bit. Looks funny. I check the other side and it is definitely a bit crooked. I then notice that the tie rod itself is VERY VERY loose. If I don't hold it up, it just falls. I'm assuming that something is definitely wrong...

CLIFF NOTES:

Tie rod on left/driver/HEALTHY side is very stiff and doesn't move unless I move by hand.

Tie rod on right/passenger/hit-in-accident side is very loose and just sorta hangs. Also, tie rod outer end bolt looks slightly crooked compared to the other tie rod's outer end bolt.

Any ideas? Thanks for any info. This thing is killing me.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP..

Are tie rods commonly found like this? One being tight and the other being totally loose?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts