Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have seen my post about exhaust rattling...and even more of you have experienced it first hand I'm sure!
Anyways, had my car in to the SVT dealer to see if he can find it (I has hoping it was the cat, and get it replaced under warranty, but no)
It doesn't seem to be a heat shield...lower cat is off...header shield is off...rack shield is off...
Cat mounts are good and secure...nothing seems to be 'rubbing' or close to touching...
Upper cat shield is apparently secure...all other shielding seems secure, BUT I still have an annoyingly loud rattle at around 1500RPM!!!
Arghhhhh!!!
It is sometimes off and on, but mostly on...
What could it be?
Oil pump pick up screen loose? (but it sounds like a light, very loose piece of metal)
Anytime I try to get it to rattle (for inspection), I can not reproduce it...but when I'm driving, it's always rattling

If I don't get this fixed, I'm afraid I might go insane and purposely drive head-on into a semi-truck, and fix the damn rattle for good! lol
I'm always conscience of 'sounds' that could lead to other, bigger problems down the road, so I try to stay on top of such things, but I'm stumped...
Also (off topic) where can I get a good price on front sway bar end links (the new designed ones) or aftermarket? Part number?
This was also a cause of noise, but not anymore...link popped right off the ball socket!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
268 Posts
ok what kind of intake do you have? if it is a short ram check to see if the filter is hitting something i had that on mine. also check to see if the porcelin in the cat got knocked loose somehow

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had an annoying rattle that I could hear on take off. It turned out that the bracket for the cooling fans had come loose and they were rattling on the exhaust manifold heat shield. Once I secured the bracket, the rattling stopped. Not sure if this'll help in your case, but it's worth looking into. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Some people have reported there flex pipe rattels. There soulition was to put a hose clamp in the middle of the flex.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is definetely coming from underneath, right at the cat/flexpipe area...everything else checks out (fan mount, intake is stock)...
I guess I'll try a clamp on the flexpipe...what can it hurt? And it'll cost all of $0.99 right? I'll get back to you's...and thanx for the help

·
Registered
991 Posts
i had a rattle in my old SVT, you could hear it from the driver side front wheel bad...turned out to be somthing w/ the tranny that cant really be fixed, some have it some dont, at least thats what ford told me

·
Registered
133 Posts
i had a rattle in my old SVT, you could hear it from the driver side front wheel bad...turned out to be somthing w/ the tranny that cant really be fixed, some have it some dont, at least thats what ford told me
Oh yes it could be fixed
If it was your tranny, the new clutch/flywheel update would have taken care of that

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno if it's the tranny...I do get a small rattle sometimes in neutral/idle with the clutch out, but nothing like this rattle...and it goes away after a couple of seconds...
I did get under it today, and put a hose clamp around the flex-pipe...but I broke it!!! F_ck!!
Back to square one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts