Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a svtf and just installed Spax "TA" adjustable shocks and struts tonight (i'll write a review once i test em more). So when we were installing the rear ones we put that black plastic boot on and slid it down as far as we could get it and hit it with a hammer to make sure it was on there, and then put on the bumpstop and the piece that goes on top of that and there wasnt enough of the rod from the shock coming out without pressing down really hard to compress the bumpstop and stuff (yeah we pulled it out as far as it would go). So we decided we had to cut the bumpstop. So we ended up cutting about 3 of the bulges off (all the white on the bottom and one of the red i think). It fit on there good, but i looked at my car when i got home and theres a tiny bit of space below the bumpstop and plastic boot on the left rear and i can see a tiny bit of the metal rod, but on the back right it looks alright.
Were we correct in cutting the bumpstops? Did we just put the plastic boot on too far on the left rear?
Please help
Thnx

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, i looked at it a minute ago and BOTH the rear have a tiny space between the black plastic shield/boot thing and the bumpstop. Im guessing being able to see part of the metal shock rod is bad. Do i need to get new bumpstops? did we push the black plastic shield/boot thing too far down?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the black plastic boot/cover thing i was talkin about is the dust cover or whatever you wanna call it btw incase anyone was confused. The space is below the the bottom of the bumpstop and above the dust cover.

also i dont understand how the bumpstop works on the rear. The dust jacket is hard and does slide or anything really, and if the bumpstop is pushed down it will hit the dusk jacket, so is the dust jacket part of the bump stop system?

and do you actually need to keep the dust jackets on the shocks/struts? wont dust and stuff get in there anyway?

can anyone help me?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I can't believe no one has chimed in yet. I really don't know the answer, but when I changed my springs I did trim the front bump stop down about 1/3. Sorry, I know it doesn't help you much at all, but figured I would at least reply.

someone has to know!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thnx for the reply
I havnt messed with the front ones, i dont guess i should do anything to them right?

Can anyone help me? anyone know the part number for the rear svt bumpstops?
maybe i should just order some new ones and see if they fit good? I think the bottom white softer section on the bumpstop went all the way into the black shock dust cover, and there looks like enough room to where the bottom bump of the red harder part would fit ok i think, so there wouldnt be a space in between i guess?

any suggestions?
anyone? come on suspension guru's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts