Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally got all my parts in and am starting to assemble my new motor. Here are a list of parts:

FR Head
FR Intake Manifold
Cat Stage 2 Cams
Cat Stage 2 Springs/Retainers
10.2:1 Compression forged pistons
Eagle H-Beam forged rods
Cam Gears
ARP head studs, main studs, rod bolts
Custom burn chip
70mm Mass Air
32lb injectors
65mm TB

This will be my first build, though I'm doing this project with my father who has tons of experience with older cars.

Here's where I am right now:
We clayed a piston today with the head on the block with no head gasket and it's hitting big time - obviously I'm going to have to do some work with the bucket clearances...
After talking with our machine shop guy, we decided that the easiest thing to do to get the clearance we need would be to shave the needed distance off the top of the valve stems. I know some guys with this head are getting custome buckets machined, and some are digging around in drums of buckets finding the right size but I haven't heard anyone mention doing it this way. I can't think of any reason for it not to work. The intake side we found to need about an additional .018 and the exhaust side needs a good .022 We're thinking about taking .025 off each valve stem. Between that and the addition of the head gasket we'll have a good clearance.....

What do ya'll think?
Anything ya'll can do to help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BUMP...I know someone has to be able to help.

·
Registered
659 Posts
How could the valves be hitting they only open when the piston is down I dont understand

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cams where in, belt was on, but we didn't necessarily pay any attention to using the timing tool. You think I should tom?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
YES the engine has to be IN TIME or the valves could hit just from that

And cutting the tips of the valves WILL NOT help valve clearance valve to piston

Tom

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that won't work, what will? As much help as you're willing to give I would be very appreciative.

Kev

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I used the mighty search tool to see what all I could dig up. I'm curious though, won't the lash clearances differ from cam to cam, and head to head. Another thing, through all the posts I read not one actually posted what the tolerances were. Does anyone have this information?

Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts