Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got me a liquid gray 2002 ZX3 after having totaled my p.o.s. Neon (oops). Hopefully my new baby won't meet the same fate.

My question is, I want a muffler that looks like the HKS one, here. I don't plan on having a lot of mods for power, just like the handling of the car (this thing has tires the size of my old Supra's! I love it!), and I want to have a deep exhaust note.

I plan on going to a local auto parts store and picking up a universal canon type muffler, just want to know what size inlet to get and how long the muffler can be before it don't fit etc... any tips anyone has would be great, thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have never seen anyone use the rear mounted HKS type muffler you show in your post. The standard Focus comes with a muffler more toward the front of the car with a resonator at the rear, where you want to mount the HKS. Some people have just cut off the rear resonator and replaced it with straight pipe and a tip. From what I have heard this may actually DECREASE power, but it does increase exhaust noise (if that's all you want).

Most people on this board have gone with a full cat back system (use search up in upper right hand corner to learn more). Others have replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or similar with or without removing the rear resonator.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about removing the resonator and adding a pipe and tip. How loud are we talking? Pull me over loud?

I really don't have the dough for a cat-back, and don't see it happening anytime soon.

It looks like a cannon type muffler, if I got one about 16-18" long, could work, but it might take some creative pre-resonator pipe cutting to get the angle right.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot:
I was wondering about removing the resonator and adding a pipe and tip. How loud are we talking? Pull me over loud?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have heard some who did this. It's not too bad. Not Harley loud any way. It may drone at speed, and you don't get any perfromance boost. why not go to a muffler shop and ask if they have any straight through mufflers or resonators they have removed from other cars. You can probably have something like this, in good condition welded in for the same price as cutting off the stock resonator (say < $100) and you might get a performance boost as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
At first I thought about the same thing, but then I decided to go with a "Pacesetter" cat-back system. It has a nice sound to it without drawing the police to your car. I love the way it sounds!

2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue, Pacesetter cat-back, Iceman intake, Bosch Plat.plugs, Taylor wires, Ventshade visors, limo-tint!,and still adding!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a Pacesetter on my Supra and a Prelude I used to own, I liked both of them. People have warned me that they rust and eventually fall off but I have had good luck by coating them with black high temp paint. Both made it through multiple North East winters.

I'll probably just have to save for one. Boo to no instant gratification.

To be honest the thing I hate most about the exhaust that's on there stock is how cheap the ribbed can thing looks sitting there behind the bumper.

A deep tone would be great too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To be honest the thing I hate most about the exhaust that's on there stock is how cheap the ribbed can thing looks sitting there behind the bumper.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm with you. Too cheap to get a cat back. I fixed the ugly ribbed can look for under $5 with a can of high temp BBQ paint. It said it was black, but it is a perfect match for the liquid grey ZX3. I used some on the rear brake drums as well when they rusted after about 10 miles of hard use. It just makes that ugly resonator disappear! Honestly, I wouldn't take the resonator off unless you are getting a cat back. Plus if you cut the resonator off it still looks bad because the shiny heat sheild becomes noticable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya, I know what you mean. The stock one looked prety nasty after a few winters. I'll give my Pacesetter a coat of high temp. paint this weekend and put some vasaline on the chrome end piece just before the snow hits! If it lasts for three years-its paid for itself. I'll put another one on it!-it cost me around $220 installed!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would go for a magnaflow SuperTurbo at the place of the front muffler and straight piping with a tip after that (no resonator)

In the future, if you plan geting a race header (or off-road pipe) put in a long tubular direct pass (every brand has one) in the front (under front seats) and you'll have great sound an performance for really cheap...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip. If I picked up a Magnaflow and brought it to Midas what are the odds they would be able to do that straight pipe to the back? I've seen them put some pretty nasty bends in a pipe before, I'm worried they'd crimp the s#@t out of the pipes.

Guess it would still sound good and look good though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As I've posted before, the Magnaflow #14214 can be installed replacing the center muffler by cutting the nipples to half length and welding a short length of 2" tubing at a muffler shop to the inlet that's bent to fit the original inlet tubing. The tailpipe can then be bent using the stock hangers and come out straight back to whatever tip you want. Cost is about $140. Team that with a K&N drop-in air filter for improved response. Go with the 'flow.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do they have the same 3 chamber design with flow directors? Because that design is a blessing...

The empty chambers help to accumulate gas giving you good low end torque (more scavenging compared to direct pass mufflers) and directors provide a good, less obstructed flow at higher rpms (more flow than ordinary empty chamber mufflers)...

By the way, most muffler shops around here cannot bend the pipes without crushes. But they charge you allmost nothing compared to aftermarket exhausts. You can get all the piping done (cat-back)under $30...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Someone who has the Pacesetter....

How far does the tip stick out past the bumper? Is it further than the stock one? I'd really like to get one but don't want it if it sticks out further than flush with the bumper.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot:

I really don't have the dough for a cat-back, and don't see it happening anytime soon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you cant do it right, dont do it at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Pacesetter exhaust tip sticks out approx. 2.5" from the top plastic part of the bumper- I would post a pict., but my scanner is down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts