Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bored out the manifold and put it all back on, but yet the damn thing wants to run at 3k! I know it is running lean (i think) because of the glowing exhaust......but i didnt grind down enough to go through it.....i can see a little metal port coming in from the front of the manifold opening, did i grind off somthing i wasnt supposed to? Oh well i sealed the t/b up good and found no leaking air being sucked in around the t/b....could a faulty tps be doing this, i didnt take it off from the t/b......Help me out fellas!!!

robert

oh ya by the way, when i first took it out for the initial test run, it ran fine....then somthing like popped and it started to run high...
all the vacuum lines seem to be in order...but a vacuum line isnt gonna do all this i wouldnt think....

[ 12-09-2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Sir_Gawain ]

·
Registered
181 Posts
YOur throtlle position sensor is loose.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked at the screws and checked...the top one was losse alittle but i tightened it...bottom tight....or did you mean the harness that plugs into the sensor housing?

[ 12-09-2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Sir_Gawain ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FC T/b sorry oh and no CEL was thrown yet either

[ 12-09-2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Sir_Gawain ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just went and started it, the eng. was cool, and it went to 2500 rpm's...then i unplugged the tps-no change...i plugged it back in it shot up to 3200-3400 rpms...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where is this located? i read that it is on the back of the mani. 2 scres sholding it on?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i cant exactly get that off huh....do you really think it could hold the throttle open at 3200 rpm? even if i blip the throttle it does nothing but go right back to 3k area...

·
Registered
662 Posts
What year is your car, 5 speed or automatic? And, is the TPS mounted in correct set of holes for your car based on your answer to the 5 speed, vs. auto for the car year?

The FC t/b has 3 different TPS mounting positions, put it on in the wrong way and your idle will be affected.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by myFordPerformance.com:

The FC t/b has 3 different TPS mounting positions, put it on in the wrong way and your idle will be affected.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this was exactly my problem. call nader at fc.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok check it out...my problem is exactly the same as this one...
Damn hes the same as me.....

my tps was on for about 3 months already.. i took off the f/c to nore the manifol and put it right back on...could i vacuum out the iac hole and maybe pull somthing out of there?

[ 12-09-2002, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Sir_Gawain ]

·
Registered
307 Posts
mines doin the same thing, but the throttle body is stock. i ordered a new tps. but is that the problem? and how could your idle go up to 4000 when the throttle is closed off? i dont get it!

·
Registered
361 Posts
My guess would be a leak between the manifold and the tb..

But of course, if the leak was that bad.. the mafs wouldnt be able to recognize that air coming into the manifold, and the car would run very badly..ie, stumble ..

Other than everyone elses comments about tps, and iac, id want to check for any leaks if I were you..Listen closely near the tb to see if you can hear any whistling/vacuum leak noises.

Cory Haines
Operations Manager @
www.modernperformance.com

Huge selection of Focus parts, Knowledgable Focus salespeople, same day shipments. The place to go !

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cory, that is exactly what i was figuring...air intake other than registered and i do seem to hear a added noise other than the aem sound...but i have felt the track around where the T/b fits and nothing....now i am wondering if the IAC port and the manifold hole seperater...(the rectangle hole versus the huge main opening)isnt level...so say when i am putting the t/b on i accidently ground off some of the plastic between the 2 causing a leak...

if any one can answer these please do...
1. if the idle was recieving too much air would the car scream like that?
2. If the tps was faulty would it really run up and stay solid at 3400 rpm?
3. With enough force could i suck backwords out the iac and try to free it if its stuck?
4. How hard is it to remove the IAC from under the car with jackstands?
5. Can not even torq. on the plastic intake mani. where the t/b sits cause a leak(i dont think it would beings its plastic
6. can you guys move your intake mani (jiggle) a little?
7. Any more inputs would be awesome thanks..( i really do want to keep the bored manifold...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally posted by Sir_Gawain:

4. How hard is it to remove the IAC from under the car with jackstands?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not hard at all the trickiest part is putting it back on becausea you can barely see the holes to line up the screws with, and from the sound of your problem i think that it is a bad IAC i've had to replace 3 allready and i've had my idle as high as 4500-5000 due to it going bad so 3400 isn't at all out of the ordinary e-mail me if you have any questions about the install, i've done it so many times i know it like the back of my hand, good luck with fixing the problem

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just took off the IAC valve , not really that bad to do...but cramped... anyway when i pulled it down i didnt see anything unusual no big pieces of plastic or anything....and i also coated the inside of the main air flow hole in the manifold, where the IAC channel runs parallel to it..just to be safe and see if i didnt grind away too much on accident causing a leak between the 2....

hope it works

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i coated the outside (actual intake mani. main hole) wall of the IAC seperator and took off the IAC valve itself (quite easy actually with jackstands even!) and didnt find any debri in the valve housing, so i sucked out the IAC channel and blew air in it as well... Connected everything back up and walla! No defect noted...it does idle at 1100 in the begining but will settle down after awhile (probably due to the CPU relearning) I will post a simple how-to for future needs of Jetter's!!!

Robert

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi

We had the same problem with our Focus fitting a FC TB We found that the TPS is very easy to breack. It breaks with out very little effort. I suggest that you try run the car with out the TPS being Connected for a while it will Drink Gas but and your Traction control light will be on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts