Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here\'s something NOT to do....

Howdy, all! Just checking in from my local library (no internet sucks!!!) and I thought I'd let everyone know about my 5 second near-pants soiling incident this weekend.

I changed my brake pads Friday. First time I've gotten my hands dirty on the Focus since I installed Gig's throttle body a looong time ago.

And it felt good.

So I figured I'd do a little messing around on my day off Saturday. I decided to see how much room is actually freed up by removing the battery (I've seen people with intakes that required the relocation of the battery, and it piqued my curiousity). So I pulled the battery out, and the battery tray. Talk about a TON of room! Jeez!

Then I notice the airbox tray. I've got a cone filter, so I dont have the airbox in there, so I figure "hey, what the hell, lets get that tray out of there too!"

DONT TRY IT!!!
That innocent little tray is anything but! So unless you like the idea of watching/hearing the back of your engine DROP about 2 INCHES until it hits the subframe, LEAVE IT ALONE!

I damn near [censored] myself.

But there seems to be no damage (thank God), and I got it back in place and tightened up.

Sometimes I really amaze myself. Well, have fun guys, I'll check in when I can.

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Re: Here\'s something NOT to do....

haha...thats cool!!

I specifically remember the instructions when installing my cool-flo shield was to loosed 2 of the MOTOR MOUNT bolts that lie under the stock airbox!!

Sucks it happend...but hey...if we dont try...we dont [censored] up...and we dont learn.

hehe

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Loosening them isnt a problem. It takes a little work (you think that should'a been a clue?
) but I actually REMOVED the nut from the center one. That's it. I didnt touch the 4 around the edges, I just took out the middle one and the engine dropped.

I figured a bunch of you guys probably knew that already, but my mod list on this engine is pathetically low, and I havent had to fix anything on it yet, so I dont have a lot of underhood time, even though I'm closing on 39k.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

ya, you loosened the nut for the driver's side motor mount! DOH!
Glad everything is ok.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No, I didnt loosen it, I REMOVED IT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts