Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post your symptoms, mileage, year, model, what you've changed on your car so far (i.e. DPFE, EGR, plugs, etc,) plus...if you are having the following:

1) Stumbling/hesitation during partial throttle, at aroudn 2-3K RPM..any speed.

AND

2) YOUR CELL LIGHT IS <font color="blue">OFF </font> i.e....it never came on BUT you are getting the symptoms.

Thank you.

My Car:

Stumbles at aroun 2-3K RPM particularly on the freeway...loses power, must apply large throttle inputs to maintain speed or accelerate. Getting poor fuel mileage.

2001 Focus ZTS Zetec
29,500 miles
Changed: PCV, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, transmission oil.
DPFE changed by prior owner at 17,500 miles and 28,444 miles. Recall performed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not a single person?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having a similar problem. I've received a lot of suggestions, but haven't taken a direction yet. Here's the problem I'm having.

Staggers/Hesitates when in Drive or Reverse.

Hesitation increases when I accelerate.

Staggers again when (automatic) transmission shifts.

Getting on the freeway is hard because of the acceleration, but once I level off speed, no problem. I've found that turning off overdrive reduces hesitation, as well as turning off A/C. If I turn both off, the problem is virtually gone. Still something wrong though.

My "check engine" light has come on and off. I've put in fuel injection cleaner, still there.

My latest suggestion is the PCV hose that hooks into the intake manifold just below the throttle body.

I'll post an update when I have more info.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had that problem, it has caused my a hole in the Vacuum line between the Intake Manifold and the crankcase. Removed and Replaced (r&r) the line, car running OK since.
Rick KC2ESD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you determine it was caused by that?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
With my DPFE sensor being replaced at least twice, neither times did it throw a CEL ever.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had the same issues with my '01 and it was the fuel pump. Even if they replaced your pump with the recall be sure to check the part# and make sure they replaced it with the updated FPM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealers have been very hardnosed about checking my car for fuel pump issues. They know damned well that this could be a problem...and yet they BS me with statements such as there's no CEL so we have to charge $150 to diagnose it. Crap like that...it's incredible how greed driven these bastards are...no one ever wants to lend a helping hand anymore these days (of course forums like this are an exception:) )

·
Registered
859 Posts
I understand how you feel. The dealers are bad and the techs don't want to do thier job. Low fuel pressure or a failing pump never give a CEL in the Focus (don't you love Fords
). I bought the specialty tools and did the fuel pump replacement myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...I have a DPFE sensor on order...if that doesn't remedy the problem I'll then hit the fuel pump...

I'm hoping it's the DPFE. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it were the fuel pump, there's be issues of power delivery at all RPMs no? When I floor the car or give it decent throttle, it moves pretty I must say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...

the dealership replaced my fuel pump/module. I was hoping this was the fix...STILL hesitates and stumbles on the freeway at around 2-3K. The car suddenly feels like it's misfiring alot and power is lost...feels like what my old 87 GTI felt like when the distributor terminal was burning out and one cylinder was basically not working.

I've changed the DPFE sensor also. My idle is slightly lumpy also..I can feel the misfires vibrating slightly through the car.

Any suggestions because I'm at a loss right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 05 acts like it has an oversized cam when it's idling. I can feel it in the pedals when I am sitting at a light. Switching on the digital tach mode in the odo shows the engine running between 680-750 rpm. The guys here at work say they can't find anything wrong. It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
can't you get a recall notice from ford....and take it to the dealship..and they can't give you any flack??

i have this problem..both the fuel pump and the stubbling...the stubbling thing just started about two months ago..i had an aftermarket intake on and i though maybe that was the problem. so i put the stock back on and it seemed to go away..but recently it started back up. sometimes it only does it when its real hot out or when i have been driving for a long time ive noticed. so when things are nice and warm. my forcus has about 49k miles on it...and after reading that you need to replace that valve or whatever every 30k miles...that kinda makes sense.

needless to say....im kinda like..really disappointed in this car with such stupid problems...i mean..its not like this is fords first car they've made...they should know how to get stuff right by now. grrrrrr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts