Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wanted to say hi and stuff. I'm thinking about getting rid of the miata for a more "practical car". I have a 1992 miata that has been turboed for several years now. Turbo, custom I/C piping with a starion I/C. Full standalone ecu, etc. its starting to get long in the tooth and I want a car that will be fun and good for everyday driving that just like the miata i can autoX every now and then. I have always like they way the focus looked and with me considering a masters I need a car i can depend on for the next few years.

And tips and hints, or where I may read tips and hints on what to look for in 01+ ZX3 would be great.

i would attatch some photos but i dont see an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for an 02 or later... those seemed to have missed most of the bigger recalls.

To post pics, use the
tags.
I dont have them hosted. I could put them up on my photobucket account I guess. I dont see an attach photo option.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Nice-looking Miata.

If you're used to that kind of power, you may want to look for a Duratec. The good news is that it's a 2.3 engine with wonderful torque, and responds much better to mods than the Zetec. The bad news is that it's only available used in '04s and a few '03s, and that there aren't any turbo kits out yet.

Also, the '03-04 models had most of the little problems ironed out. The only work my Focus has needed was repeated failure of the six-disc changer head unit. It's worthless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

Yeah if i were too look into the 2.3 i would rather get a mazda 3 like my sister has. I'm doing this in a more budget minded sense. Yeah i would miss the power but I am looking at something to get me to work and hopefully school (if i get in) and with just enough fun to be able to toss around. I also like the fact that i can stuff alot of crap in the hatch. I like sports so the space will come in handy. And My GF plays an instrument, and I am trying to get lessons to start playing my trumpet again so between books, sports stuff, and instruments practicality might just win out. (Yes i know a few hatchs came with the newer motor)

And then there is the all might $$$ factor. I would not be able to get anything more than 7K. So that pretty much rules out the new Foci, as well as what I wanted an SVT. I guess a better question would be what years and price range can i look for with that kind of budget. In a zx3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts