Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I heard that when the halogen high-beams turn on, the low-beam HID's stay on, but they open up fully so they project farther instead of having a sharp cutoff. I don't have HID's though so I can't confirm. If you want to see what's going on, just park the car facing a garage door or something and find out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When you turn on the high beams, the low beams turn off.
Have you confirmed that? Then what is the solenoid controlled eyelid for? Here's a quote from a different thread by blackbird:

The HID's on the Focus are bi-xenon, which means they are used for both high and low beams. They have what you can think of as a filter/shutter/shield piece that forms the distinct low beam cut-off pattern, and when you switch to high beams a solenoid activates and moves it out of the way to get full light output. As mentioned the HID bulb is a D2S. The Focus also uses a supplementary conventional halogen H7 bulb for high. My guess is that it was primarily put in for the flash-to-pass function (since HID's can take a short time to reach maximum light output) and to aid light output in certain areas of high beam pattern.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I heard that when the halogen high-beams turn on, the low-beam HID's stay on, but they open up fully so they project farther instead of having a sharp cutoff. I don't have HID's though so I can't confirm. If you want to see what's going on, just park the car facing a garage door or something and find out.
This is the info that was published on the HID's in Focus Fanatics.
The HIDs stay on when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
When you turn on the high beams, the low beams turn off.

maybe on your wacky SVT they dooo..but real SVTs and conversions and hi-beam stalk mods they don't.

that flap/eyelid is there to cutoff the light output on the low beam so as not to blind other drivers.

when u flip to Hi-beams u can get a flap moving, thats coming up and blocking some of the HID projector so that the light is coming from the halogen and not from the xenon.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I need to have mine on high for a bit and see because I know when I first flip to high beams they go solo to the H7 but i was driving with highs on 1 night and noticed it looked HID again so maybe after a bit they flip on?

·
Banned
471 Posts
Now to figure out how to hack the flap to get more light out of them... muhahaha.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I guess this would explain why these have to be the brightest high beams I've ever had on a vehicle. I thought the standard Halogen European lights on my previous Focus were bright....these HID's put those to shame.

Once again...great information.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
They are called bi-xenon HID's...
They work for both low-beam AND highbeam, no if's and's or but's about it...
The solenoid controls the 'cut-off' shield for low beam use. When you switch to high's, it drops the shield out of the way of the len, allowing the light to fire out unrestricted. If your Focus with HID's (original Ford/Bosch HID's) are not on with highbeam, you have a problem...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
They are called bi-xenon HID's...
They work for both low-beam AND highbeam, no if's and's or but's about it...
The solenoid controls the 'cut-off' shield for low beam use. When you switch to high's, it drops the shield out of the way of the len, allowing the light to fire out unrestricted. If your Focus with HID's (original Ford/Bosch HID's) are not on with highbeam, you have a problem...
and how do you fix that problem? is it a wire problem or a hardware problem?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Make sure you test with the car running.

ok brought this back up cause I finally drove awhile with the HIDs on high and the lows never came back on. Someone said that there is a problem then, so I am asking what is the problem and is it bad

I like them enough working like this but concerned about this " problem " and also would it draw to much current on the harness if all of the lights were on when highbeams used for very long

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
in this thread they were saying on high the hids should switch back on so both are on and if they didnt there was a problem, my hids dont come on when its on high beams.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
OK that is what I thought your problem was from earlier. You said the HIDs are your high beams above. Anyway...

Once the HIDs are on they stay on till you move the dash switch to the parking light or off position.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts