Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SVT has the HID headlight conversion that was done by the previous owner. When I turn my blinker on, the blinkers inside the Headlights do not blink, only the stock blinkers in the grill do. When I turn on my headlights, only the main HID comes on, there is a couple of other bulbs that never come on and seem to do nothing. Is this how HIDs are supposed to function?

How do I hook up the blinkers inside my headlights so I can install a Euro grill?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That is not how they are supposed to function. Do a search on here and you will find a wiring diagram of how it should be hooked up. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When you turn your headlights on, your low beams and the tiny lights in the corners should come on, along with your side blinkers, on the bumper. The blinkers inside the headlights come on only when the turn signal is activated.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner never re-routed the turn/park wires from the grill lights to the new harness. Great guide for the wiring is here: http://homepage.mac.com/alf/HIDlights/
Good luck, it's not too tough, and once you're done you're ready to get a Euro grill to get rid of those ugly grill signals!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. The previous owner said the headlights were plug and play, I guess that is because he just plugged in the Ford Racing wire harness and didn't finish the install!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Ford Racing wire harness which is meant to be used with the stock signals. I found the wires to hook up the park/city lights, but it seems as if the turn signal wire(#4), is one continuous wire that goes from one headlight harness to the other. There doesn't appear to be a seperate wires for right and left turn signals. How do I tap this wire into my turn signals?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have the Ford Racing wire harness which is meant to be used with the stock signals. I found the wires to hook up the park/city lights, but it seems as if the turn signal wire(#4), is one continuous wire that goes from one headlight harness to the other. There doesn't appear to be a seperate wires for right and left turn signals. How do I tap this wire into my turn signals?
I don't know if this will help or not. On a SVTF with the HIDs from the factory the lights work as follows. The lights in the grille are parking lights only. In the HID assembly the small light up the corner is also a parking light only. The amber lights in the HID assembly are turn signal only.

Good luck.

Ron

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know how they are supposed to function now, but I'm not sure how to wire the turn signals. In the how-to they are not using the same wire harness that I have. Has anyone hooked up HIDs using the Ford Racing wire harness? How did you wire the turn signals?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do the large clear bulbs function, the ones next to the main HID, are they supposed to be on with your low beams or are they parking lights?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How do the large clear bulbs function, the ones next to the main HID, are they supposed to be on with your low beams or are they parking lights?
If by "large clear bulbs" you mean the ones toward the center of the car theose are your high beams. I believe they are H7 bulbs. When you flip the high beam switch the shutters on the HID bulbs should move out of the way exposing the whole projector beam and the H7 bulbs should also come on.

If you mean the ones toward the outside of the car with a "crystaline" lens there should be amber bulbs in there that are the turn signals on the factory HID setup. The amber lights in the grille are parking light only on the factory HID setup on the SVTF.

With all the problems you're having are you sure you got the right harness? Something definitely doesn't sound right here.

Anyway, good luck. Your efforts will definitely be worth it once you get all the bugs out.

Ron

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, now I know how all of the lights are supposed to function. I called the Ford Racing tech hotline and they told me there should be two black leads to hook up the amber lights, but he didn't have a good diagram and told me to call back on Friday.

Does anyone know which wires on the FRPP harness control the amber bulbs?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Maybe this will help:
I sure hope YOU didn't knock over all those cones laying on their sides.

Nice picture. If you get real ambitious you could modify it to show the lights in the grille are parking light only and not also turn signals like on a non HID Focus and also note that the small round lights in the outer upper corner of the headlight assembly are wired up as another set of parking lights. If you decide to go with a Euro grille without the amber lights then those two little lights can become your only parking lights to stay legal.

Ron

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found two wires that were labeled park grill r and park grill l. I spliced those wires into the parking light wires in the grill turn signals. Now the little bulbs in the corners come on as parking lights and they also come on when the headlights are on. The high beam bulbs do work, I was an idiot and never looked at my headlights when my high beams were on, I thought those bulbs were parking lights or something.

All I need to do is get the amber bulbs working as blinkers and I will have it set up proper. I need to locate "the two stubby black leads"? Does anyone have the Focus Fanatic issue that has a write up on these headlights and harness? I think its spring 2004, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have it but I don't have a scanner here. Can you give me a better idea of what you want from the article?

edit: No I didn't hit any of those cones, but I was off line (too deep)in that shot
I'm blaming it on the wetness and I'm sticking to my story.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the two black leads and tried wiring them to my turn signals and it worked. Now all the bulbs work properly, the only thing is that with the Ford Racing wire harness the amber bulbs do not function as turn signals, they are just another set of parking lights. You have to keep your grill signals to be legal.

At first I spliced into the wrong wire and I had the tiny lights in the corners working as turn signals. If I changed the tiny bulbs to amber colored ones would they be legal turn signals?

Does it say anything in the Focus Fanatic magazine about how to wire the amber bulbs so they function as turn signals?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
edit: No I didn't hit any of those cones, but I was off line (too deep)in that shot
I'm blaming it on the wetness and I'm sticking to my story.
Sure you were.
Just like when our local SVTOA chapter had a solo event last spring I was 4 seconds a lap slower than the fastest car, a 400+ HP Cobra running full racing tires. Hey it sprinkled for about 15 minutes that morning while we were setting things up.

BTW, we didn't have to deal with cones. We were using a small road course on the campus of one of the junior colleges that is used by police departments all over the state for driver training. A couple of the Cobra guys were a little overenthusiastic and made trips out into the desert that the track ran through.
None of the Foci there that day had that problem. In fact the third fastest lap was turned by a guy in a beat up ZX3 with well over a 100,000 miles on it.

Ron

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Oskar so true...I track at Pacific Raceways the Stangs/Cobras blow by me on the straight but right on there tail in the corners...I especially like the Lotus guy that blew me off when I was checking his car out..funny spun off the track on the warm up lap...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts