Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is all in the dual mass flywheel but I was wanting to know how some of you guys do this shifting and not get that huge jerk when you let the clutch out in the next gear. Example, take off in 1st and rev all the way to say above 6 grand and then put it into second and when you let out to nail it again the car jerks bad. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will try to explain better, but it isn't anything with the motor, but it is all do do with that flywheel spins differently, if you know what I am talking about then how do you get around this, shift faster or slower? or what?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
try blipping the throttle to keep the car spooled before dropping the clutch in second.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you shift too slow the rpms are going to fall too much by the time you hit second and it is going to jerk as the engine rpm and vehicle speed in that gear are not matching well.

Try shifting a little faster.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never experienced this in any other car with a regular flywheel, that is why I am asking this question, but from the two responses so far it sounds like it loses to may rpm's to fast and that they need to stay close to where they where. Thanks

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
partof your problem may be the 6k shift. if you shift at or near redline it will be at 5k in next gear, at least through 5th. that way it stays in the best part of the power band.

·
Registered
30 Posts
partof your problem may be the 6k shift. if you shift at or near redline it will be at 5k in next gear, at least through 5th. that way it stays in the best part of the power band.
Now there's someone that understands how these cars have to be driven. Keep it in the 4k - 7k range if you want to enjoy what its fun factor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For you "audible bang" guys, invest in some $20 poly trans mount bushings. To you others, get more seat time, and don't shift 'til you hear fuel cut.

~Dave

·
Registered
951 Posts
Now there's someone that understands how these cars have to be driven. Keep it in the 4k - 7k range if you want to enjoy what its fun factor.
Exactly. I hope some of you all here actually get to experience the DSI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For you "audible bang" guys, invest in some $20 poly trans mount bushings. To you others, get more seat time, and don't shift 'til you hear fuel cut.

~Dave
How much of a difference does the mount make and how does it affect the feel of the car?????????

·
Registered
242 Posts
i get rubber hitting second,sometimes 3rd
Bah!

You can "get rubber" in almost any gear with this car.

It hasn't so much to do with power, but inertia stored in the damned Mack Truck flywheel we are running. You spin up that puppy and drop the clutch on it, then something has to give.

Usually, what gives is a little road grip until your clutch (or whatever else mechanical) starts to go.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dont let off the gas when you shift....and for good measure..practice this at LOW rpms to get the speed down. I can go to the edge of fuel cut, and bang second and never go above redline....gotta be quick. Takes practice. 'Course, Ive been driving stick since 95...so, I have some years under my belt. Damn I feel old...:lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dont let off the gas when you shift....and for good measure..practice this at LOW rpms to get the speed down. I can go to the edge of fuel cut, and bang second and never go above redline....gotta be quick. Takes practice. 'Course, Ive been driving stick since 95...so, I have some years under my belt. Damn I feel old...:lol
I take it all the way to redline in 1st and 2nd and 3rd, when I am drag'in. I have not in a while bounced off the rev limiter. You gotta be quick and percise with your shifts. I have been driving stick since august of 2000, I have a little bit of practice
, and am by no means the worlds fastest shifter. It gets me where I need to go (about a 1/4mi further), and sometimes faster than the guy next to me.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
try blipping the throttle to keep the car spooled before dropping the clutch in second.
Is EVERYONE here forgetting that the SVT has HUGE throttle hang issues stock? The jerking he's feeling is most likely the engine slowing down to the correct speed at the wheel. The engine speed drops so slowly in neutral that it's almost impossible in some circumstance to get a smooth, but fast shift.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts