Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Indians, only Zuul.
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 lx and i have done a few mods to it but i cant take turns at high speeds with out my enigne shutting off on me. this action from my engine has put me into several perdicaments of dange or loss of controle befor.
basicly what happens is when i take a corner (like the on ramps in bellview for thouse whop know the area) at high speeds my engine starts to spudder and slow down to where it almost is shutting its self off
and the only way to get it started up and going again is to pull my foot off the gas and slam it a few times.
if any one has any idias or sudgestions of how to stop this or fix it please reply
thanks Drew

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Hey, welcome to the jet!!

You need to keep like half a tank of gas in your car, it happens to me when my tank is low. It is a very common problem with the focus. Keep your tank full and try it for a week. You will see it won't happen anymore.

·
No Indians, only Zuul.
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcom
but i have tryed to keep the tank full and it still happens to me and one time it even almost made me spin out into a ditch.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
well, then it's time to change the pump or clean out the screens.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
run it till its almost outta gas. Disconnect the fuel filler hose and and the fuel line from the tank. support the tank with a jack. undo the strap holding it up. lower the tank. disconnect the driver module at the harness that connects to the pump. remove the cap on the top of the tank. this is where you'll find the pump. remove the screens and clean them. if they are dirty, its probablly tank shedding. if you want, look for a good tank cleaner and do that. make sure its totally dry before you fill it up again. replace the pump if necesarry and reinstall the screens. Or leave the bottom screen out. (the bottom screen causes fuel starve if its dirty) reinstall pump, and tank.

·
No Indians, only Zuul.
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the sudgestions ill try them out and see if anything differs in my apex finding fun

G

·
you can also cut an access trap in the sheet metal right above the fuel pump...

can running without the fuel pump screens can bring some problems ??? probably not... the inline filter stays there and filter all the fuel to the engine anyway...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think this calls for desperate measures. Phillip is the one to talk to. He's had experience with the fuel pump of the Focus and he's modified it. I am sure he can help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts