Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the initial installation of a homemade short ram on my SVTF.

I had done some shopping and I just don't like the idea of an oiled element air cleaner (dirty maf issues and such) so I looked a little harder and it didn't look all that hard to do.

I used the stock MAF and rubber tube to the TB , The aircleaner base and filter I used are stock on Mustang GT's.

I figured if it flows enough for a 4.6 it should certainly feed a 2.0.

I made an adapter plate of 1/8th in aluminum plate and attatched the MAF to it, then bolted the Mustang air filter base to the plate.

The mustang air filter is held in place with the band clamp that held the airbox together.

I did have to move the battery forward a touch and I am going to have to watch for rubbing issues but it seems to work quite well.

Of course it started raining while I was installing it so I couldn't give it a real good test but the engine feels like it is breathing much easier.

Total cost $25.00 which includes a crankcase breather filter.

The filter base was donated by a customer of mine who rebuilds wrecked cars but you could probably find one in a boneyard cheap.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Excellent idea.

You can find the smaller Mustang airbox from a 94-98 V6 Mustang. Same type conical filter & airbox, only a bit smaller in diameter. It would most likely be a perfect fit without having to mess with the battery placement.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would imagine if you looked around you could find one.

As I said mine was a donation so I made do with what was at hand.

All I did with the battery was loosen the clamp and slide the battery forward, Then I put a wedge behind it and tightened the clamp down again.

There is a slot in the clamp to allow for some adjustment.

Some Explorers and Rangers use a similar aircleaner setup as well.

Just make sure you get the clamp or you will have no way to hold the filter to the base.

·
Registered
104 Posts
why is that? will it trigger the check engine light?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
hope you enjoy the crappy ignition timing that you're iat will read from all that hot engine bay air .. *shakes head*
Not really sure what that is suppose to mean

However the setup looks good except for that cheap filter. I would ditch that and get a good one! Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
what it means is .. the IAT messures their tempature of the air your motor is breathing . it's a heat sensetive resistor in the MAF .

your engine bay is HOT

so your motor will try 2 ways to compensate for the heat..
a) more fuel (rich=slow)
b) pull ignition timing (yucky boggy slow)

it does those 2 things to prevent detonation because hot air is thin .

so in a dyno test with an open hood, you'll witness horsepower gain. but when the hood is closed driving on the steet (expecially on a hot day).... GOOD BYE performance.

you can get away with a short ram for some stock tunes because the IAT charge doesn't have a large affect on the maps. But that's becuase most of these applications are for lower performance/lower compression motors. The stock SVT tuning aggressively pulls timing because of it's high compression cylinder pressure to prevent detonation.

The SVT Focus is not the car to run a short ram in. Buy a Cold Air Intake (or make one with mandral bend pipes)

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I know is that the engine does not feel like it is breathing through a straw anymore.

I did say "initial installation" I am planning on a some heat shielding and additional fresh air ducting in the near future.

As far as the breather goes, if you look at pic 3 and follow the breather hose you will see what looks like a diagonal white line, that is the breather filter.

The filter may look a little cheap but it is very effective, it is a factory Motorcraft filter for a Mustang GT. It has much more capacity than my car will ever use and I don't have to worry about cleaning and oiling it.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got to actually run it hard through the gears last night and the car feels better across the board.

I know one thing, I have never had such a loud second gear bark from the tires before.

It may not be as good as some of the big buck aftermarket stuff but for what I have into this so far I am very pleased.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
hope you enjoy the crappy ignition timing that you're iat will read from all that hot engine bay air .. *shakes head*

However the setup looks good except for that cheap filter. I would ditch that and get a good one! Just my 2 cents
Hey don't argue with him. The man gets 240 whp out of 5 lbs of Jackson boost.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts

I wasn't trying to start anything. Just was a little unclear on what he was trying to say. Of course everyone talks about a short ram intake creating heat, but that JRSC will create just as much heat

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

I wasn't trying to start anything. Just was a little unclear on what he was trying to say. Of course everyone talks about a short ram intake creating heat, but that JRSC will create just as much heat
I know man I was joking. Just busting chops.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thing I have noticed is that I seem to have gained a little more low end power which is most noticable when moving off from a stop.

I don't have to finesse the clutch/gas as much now.

Next stop, heat shielding and another fresh air duct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts