Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am just wondering what do I need to know before attempting to create my own SR intake. I know the maf needs to be turned around but what size inlet should my cone filter be to fit securely?

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you do not turn the maf around. leave it exactly as it is. Of course I could be wrong and usually am.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you do not turn the maf around. leave it exactly as it is. Of course I could be wrong and usually am.
I don't think he means turned around as in direction of flow. I think he means turned as in flipped up and placed horizontal.

·
8,054 Posts
I almost thought the same thing, but its a little unclear. Maybe the poster can clarify.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I personally am of the opinion that a stock intake is going to be better than running one of these "new fangled" short rams. You're going to be sucking up a ton of hot air with the shortram which is more than likely going to hinder performance, at least until you reach higher speeds when the air turbulence in the engine bay is enough to suck up some nice ambient air. [/my two cents]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So pretty much, it isnt worth it? That means the steeda is a scam? I cant risk a cai, down in south fla, rain is a bitch. But then again, only 3-4 months of bad rain. I dunno what to do

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Nah, the Steeda's not a scam; it's a short ram, just not a Cold Air Intake.

What some people do is alter their OE filter's splash shield, put that back on and avoid standing water where the depth is unknown...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, doesnt the steeda have basic similarities to the custom short ram that a member on her posted? Why would i suffer in the performance area?

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
And don't forget the trusty bypass valve! With that, you should be fine unless you decide to take your car swimming.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Well, doesnt the steeda have basic similarities to the custom short ram that a member on her posted? Why would i suffer in the performance area?
Yes, it does. But for that matter, most of the CAIs have basic similarities to a three foot length of pipe. The fact is, companies that have R&D budgets can make little differences that get you a little more power. Heat shielding, for one, which helps fight the main disadvantage of short rams. Their MAF fitting, while still a bottleneck, may flow better than stock. Lots of little differences.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
You can do it. And you will have a noticeable gain in power, and a noticeable grunt.

You will get more power from a cold air intake, but it's not worth it if you are worried about hydrolock.

You are going to have to make some cuts to your stock mass air tube, or rig up an adapter to slip in and bolt up to the throttle body side of the maf.

If you want to get creative, you can make your own heat shield. Or you can make your own custom air filter box and then make a duct that sits in the grille for a custom ram air effect.

You asked if it can be done, and I am saying yes.

Spend a saturday morning taking it apart and measuring, then order your filter, and get the rest of the stuff you are gonna need.

Good luck to you sir!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As one of the few guys (or only one) running a Steeda intake here....

It's a VERY nice piece.
It has a very nice heat shield that isolates it from the heat.
Yes it is pulling in warmer air than a CAI is, but there is no fear of hydrolock, unless you drive the car into a lake

Plus the fact it's gonna get air better than the VERY VERY restrictive stock intake:

I bought it because it's the only Short Ram intake available. It does look VERY nice, but I didn't buy it because of that...only because I wasn't gonna risk it with a CAI

Pics installed on my car:

If you ever take your car to the track....
Pop out the driver side headlight and you got a SWEEEET ram-air setup going!

·
8,054 Posts
I don't understand why they say that intake won't fit an 03-04? It looks the same to me.

I think you can get away with not hacking up the MAF tube, just gotta be a little creative, thats all.
Goog luck if you are really going to attempt it. There are a couple other guys that did it (and I can't remember who it was for the life of me) and we pretty satisfied.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
Yes it is pulling in warmer air than a CAI is, but there is no fear of hydrolock, unless you drive the car into a lake
Same with the CAI really

When you guys talk about rain, you might forget that the rest of the world has it too. It doesn't matter HOW MUCH rain you have, it's about driving into puddles.

So regardless of rain, if you have to traverse puddles constantly, why would you even buy a focus?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same with the CAI really

When you guys talk about rain, you might forget that the rest of the world has it too. It doesn't matter HOW MUCH rain you have, it's about driving into puddles.

So regardless of rain, if you have to traverse puddles constantly, why would you even buy a focus?
The same reason anyone on here bought their Focus. I had an 04 EDGE 4x4 4.0, and the gas mileage just killed me. And its not that I have to drive through puddles all of the time, cause I don't. I am just worried about the one time a puddle could kill my engine, not worth it IMO for the extra couple wheel horsepower.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The thing you guys are forgetting about puddles and lakes is that the filter would have to be mostly submerged in order to suck water up the intake. That is a what?, a 14-18" vertical climb until it hits the bend before the TB... And the water is going to take out your MAF before it can really do much damage anyway. If you're that concerned about hydrolocking, then leave the splash guard in place, modify it to where it accomidates the filter/tubing, and you're golden. That setup will net you substantially more power than the ram air sucking up hot engine air and killing lowe end torque.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I don't understand why they say that intake won't fit an 03-04? It looks the same to me.
IIRC, it has to do with the shape of the headlights. The '05 headlights protrude less into the engine bay, so there's more room for the filter box.

·
8,054 Posts
IIRC, it has to do with the shape of the headlights. The '05 headlights protrude less into the engine bay, so there's more room for the filter box.
The only thing that may (and thats a big may) cause an issue would be the wiring. This is the same shot as above from my car before my CAI. Looks like it'd fit fine to me.

And a shot with my CAI in so that the wires behind the headlight can be seen clearer:

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
Same with the CAI really

The same reason anyone on here bought their Focus. I had an 04 EDGE 4x4 4.0, and the gas mileage just killed me. And its not that I have to drive through puddles all of the time, cause I don't. I am just worried about the one time a puddle could kill my engine, not worth it IMO for the extra couple wheel horsepower.
I have the same truck without the color bumper

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The headlights & fenders are different on the 2005

BUT by looking at your pic it almost looks the same though...I just don't know if you'd wanna risk it & make a $230 mistake buying it (you could always sell it though...for a little less)

Steeda says it only fits the 2005....I'm sure they'd love to sell more of these....so if it did fit the 2003 & 2004 2.3 engine, I'm sure they'd say it

Just noticed in some other pics I had....there's a computer on mine by the battery...you don't have it.
Here's pics without the heat shield:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts