Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any paint problems on their hood? Today, I was giving the SVT a total detail, wax etc.. and noticed after a real good wash, that almost the entire hood feels rough, sort of like some fine sandpaper. The rest of the car is just fine, this is only happening on the hood. A coat of wax did nothing to change this feeling. Maybe the clear coat has worn off,,,not sure??
I have not removed the insulation under the hood, as I had seen mention on here that engine heat could cause paint issues.

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen, and what you ended up doing about it. The car is still under 3/36 warranty.
Thanks

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
did you clay bar your car at all? the clay bar might get rid of the gritty feel. unless it is actually your paint

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I agree with CJ clay bar and then check how smooth the surface is where the clay bar removed the particles. This is especially true if your car is parked outside a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parked most of the time inside, but I will give Clay a try, any advice on which brand?? I see quite a few looking around online.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ANY car can and will develop a rough surface if driven on a somewhat regular basis. Without going into a technical rant, everyday enviromental dirt and fallout that gets on our cars can potentially become embedded into the paint. No matter what kind of wax or polish you use, you will eventually have to use clay to fully remove the polutants that have bonded to the paint.

Clay technology has drastically improved to the point that the products in the store are as good as the commercial stuff we got a few years ago.

Tips:
Before claying, give your car the best wash it has ever seen!

If you drop a piece of clay on the ground, through it away. Rocks, sand, and whatever else that ends up in the clay will scratch the crap out of the finish.

Use lots of lubricant. Either use the spray thats provided or substitute with a bottle of 'spray wax' or 'instant detailer'.

Do one section at a time. start a the a fender, spray it with the lube, clay it, then dry it off with a clean towel. Then do the door, etc.....

After claying: Technically the paint should be glazed/polished to give the paint a shine and to remove the minute scratches the clay give the paint. If not possible, just wax it well, and you'll be good.

When your done, your paint will feel softer and smother than it did from day one.

Sorry for the long post, but I paid my way through college detailing automobiles at a shop that is rated top five in the nation.
We would have people by xyz type of car from the dealer and drive it straight to us for an exterior detail because it makes that much of a difference.

Pm me if you have any questions. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts