Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer at work with a 2000 sedan with the spi and I am stumped with a horrible fuel mile problem. We have checked just about everything. She is getting 18mpg highway. We have done a light tune up with plugs wires and coil. Checked compression fuel pressure and fuel filter. Checked pcv system and throttle body for issues. I'm stumped. Anyone come across this or have any ideas. There are no current codes or anything.

· Registered
327 Posts
bad o2 causing rich conditions?
i know on my zetec when i had an o2 sensor go it caused it to run rich but didn't throw a code until quite a while after

· Registered
5,255 Posts
My first guess is an O2 sensor as well. Maybe the IAC? You said you replaced the plugs and did a compression test so that knocks out my other ideas.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. Ill see what turns up with the 02

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2007 with a duratec 2.0L that was getting very bad gas mileage. Took me a couple of years of fussing with the possibilities. Got very little help from car mechanics who didn't know what to look for. The problem was finally solved when I changed the second O2 sensor. The car has three O2 sensors, changing the first one didn't help, and the third one probably wouldn't have helped either. This was one info that nobody on the web would even mention, not even here.
Just for your information, my car didn't give any diagnostic codes during the time it was getting 14-16mpg. I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, EGR/DPFE unit, and upstream O2. Cleaned the MAF sensor, did a induction fuel injector cleaning, checked the coolant temp sensor, catalytic converter, and battery.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as the customer comes back I will take a look at the 02's. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.