Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was recently looking at the focussport website and saw a dyno of the kent stage 3 cams. needless to say, there was so much torque and horsepower lost before about 5250 rpms that the gain afterwards hardly seems worth it. are there any cams out there that don't lose so much for the minimal gains in the upper part of the powerband?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Stage 1 Crowers for one... They produce more power than stock, however I believe their power band is the same as stock (meaning that you lose power in the higher rpms)

I think that's why the SVTF has variable intake timing. To preserve low end torque while increasing high end power. :shrug:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Find a reputable cam grinder in your area and he can explain what type of cam to get to suite your needs. The real issue with 4 cylinders in question is that they are just not torque monsters like inline 6's v8's etc. Unless you add a fair amount of forced induction.... most higher performance cams are designed for high RPM's and thus lack anything in the lower rpm range.. As most people have found with the crowers cranes etc...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Stage 3 cams are full out race cams. Made for cars that make all their power over 4500. Your stock focus makes pretty good power over 4k, the faster you want to go, the more revs you build your motor to withstand. Stage I cams are for mild performance, they're a step up from stock. Stage II cams are great, they give lots of power starting at about 4500 and going all the way to 7. In my opinion, stage III cams are for hardcore race engines that are built top to bottom. Some ppls put them in street cars and love them.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Pablo, a buddy of mine (and fellow jetter doogie78) has crower 2's on his car and almost identical mod setups, and he doesn't start to pull on me until the end of the 1/4 mile....

But he does pull away enough to make
a difference. Thats fo-sho.
Like every other mod for our cars, it's
a bit pricey compared to the power ir makes.
It's just one more link in the chain though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any dyno's of the stage 1 or 2's? cuz the stage three's just lose so damn much down low that i hardly see how it's worth it (for a street vehicle)

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Pablo, you have an ATX right?
Do a little research before buying cams man.
I remember reading somewhere that the ATX
responds better to stage 1's.
Something about it not liking aggresive profiles.
Worth looking into....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Low RPM power is for tooling around town. Who would attempt to accelerate quickly at low rpm? You want power? Downshift and accelerate. If you just want to drive normally that's fine. The Crower Stage II cams don't give up anything in the bottom end.

After riding in Mr. Squatch's car, I am a huge fan of the Crower S2's for good power and a very usable power band.

·
Registered
292 Posts
the dyno on focussports website is of my car. the power loss at low end was almost unnoticable, and the gains up top were extremely noticable, the zetecs power band isnt exactly strong in the higher rpms and these cams definately changed that. the low end is still great for normal driving and when you wnat the power the rpms just keep climbimg and the power keeps building

1 - 10 of 10 Posts