Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a new race header a couple days ago. When I put all the bolts back in, 2 stayed very loose. Major exhaust leak. I took them out and saw the threading from the head had broken off onto the bolt. I tried putting loc-tite on it right now, that was the only thing i could think of doing that late at night. Should i try to put bigger bolts in?

[ 03-14-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Saleen317 ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sorry, no clue really, but you need a bump - so I bumped you. Don't let it leak, you'll burn a valve. Maybe JB Weld?

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
see, thats what sux about these stupid alluminum heads, ive done that to everything from valve cover bolts to thermo housing bolts...unfortunately, i never did it to the header, so i dont know, but for the valvecover and stuff, i just had it fixed at a shop, they had to rethread it....its a bitch....

Or you can buy one of those kits to do it yourself

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
Or you can buy one of those kits to do it yourself
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That would be a Heli-Coil kit. You just thread the stripped hole with the included tap, screw in the heli-coil, brake off the tab, and your ready to go. Just make sure you buy the correct size kit!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like ledfoot said,
Take the bolt into the hardware store, get the correct helicoil, follow instructions and enjoy!
It happends to aluminum/magnesium sometimes, helicoil will make the thread strong and you will be able to torque down to specs.

Good luck, Milan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts