Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad baught an SVT when they first came out and i liked it so much i got a focus of my own with the 16v Zetec. Very quick and the hanling is great. There is an SCCA event that we go to and i want him crap his pants when i get in front. I got a Volant CAI, a FS underdrive pulley, 4-2-1 racing header with 2.25in exhaust. I Know what his car can do but i got him off the line. What can i do to stay in front.

I wount dare say the car is pushing 140hp right now.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
But seriously, if your racing at an SCCA event, you should probably concentrate on your driving and suspension set up. Some nice springs, dampers, and a rear sway should do the trick. Above that, drop some cams, adjustable cam gears, a ported TB, a chip, i dunno, a ported 00' mani.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
you need suspension and good tires. even with good tires you lose because stock for stock he has better suspension and he already has good tires. get yourself an SCT too

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Reduce some weight if you can. Tires and supension is a must too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's for mostly stock cars so u cannot reduce the weight more than the seats, and in a focus the seats weight less than 40lbs. Boost is not an option $$$. BAT has SVT suspension. I'm also gona run against him at the track. Does the SVT 6speed trany fit in a stock focus? Drive shafts have to be replaced but i can manage if it'll fit. NO NITROUS!!! Bottles are for babbies!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the Zetec focus lacks up in the mid to top range RPM compared to the SVT. Maybe if you do mods that will give you a stronger top end without sacrificing your bottom end. I say an Intake Manifold, or something. Also save weight lightweight flywheel. You can also save weight by calculating how much gas you think you would use while you're at the track so you don't have such an excess amount. I normally drag race with about 1/2 tank of gas. Do you have a limited slip differential Focussedan18?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
1)Tires--nothing helps "go faster" more.

2)Dampers--One word: Koni

3)Springs--SVT is a nice streetable spring that matches nicely with the Konis

4)Brakes--find a good hi-temp pad, like Hawk, Carbotech or Porterfield and make sure whole system is 'up to snuff'.

5)Rear Swaybar--SVT, Progress, Suspension-Techniques (21/22/22.5mm) will help balance the car. There are even bigger options...but I'd wait to explore those later.

6)Driver--Most important of all. Get schooled, look, listen and LEARN. Be smoooooooooooooth. Go fast

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
is this an autocross? if so, maybe springs and tires, thats it. you need to be a better driver than him, but the springs and tires would equalize enough. my dad's car (also focus) has wider tires (7" vs 7.5"), shorter overall diameter wheels and lighter rims, more performance mods than me (race header vs shorty and high flow cat) and i have 3 secs on him in the autox and i beat him in the 1/4 too by 0.3 secs. driving makes up for alot.

oh yeah, and more driver: eric above has less engine mods than me, but has good tires and adj dampers, but can drive the wheels off his sedan, he blows me away, at one event he jumped in my car during fun runs and beat my best by like 2 secs at least!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
but can drive the wheels off his sedan
That sounds expensive

Thanks for the flattering comments

·
Registered
406 Posts
For a budget setup, I'd say KYB AGXs off ebay ($345 on my front porch) and some form of spring...depending on how much drop you want. I'm happy w/ my Steeda springs..and no, they aren't just rebadged Eibachs. SVT bar in the back. A flasher or chip would be a solid investment. As for tires, I haven't really found tires that overly impressed me. For the money, NeoGens aren't bad. I'm hoping you have a manual tranny, otherwise, you're dead in the water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts