Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question that I probably can find the answer to in my owner's manual, but I missed it if it's there.

How do you change manual transmission fluid? I know you have to drain the old fluid, but where and how? My shifts are really get difficult, especially in the 15* weather. I bought a bottle of Mobil 1 tranny fluid. Hope it's good.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think www.myfordfocus.com has a detailed page on it. I'll check it real quick. Edit---it's not on there. Do a search on it and somethings got to show up

[ 01-18-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: BLOWNSTANG ]

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'm pretty sure the current word on MTX fluid is to use fully synthetic 75W90 gear oil. You'll need 2.1 qts to do the complete swap.

You drain the fluid out the back of the tranny, and fill it in the front. Take a funnel that will accept a 5/8" fuel line on the end and run the line from the engine bay down to the fill hole on the front of the tranny. You'll need two people more than likely for the fill part, one to add oil at the funnel, up top, and one to make sure it isn't spilling all over the garage floor, down below.

If you want to make the majority of the old oil come out, drive around for 5 or 10 minutes to heat the fluid up before draining it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
NOOOOOO!!!!
MTX 75 is designed to use ONLY ATF oil. Any good synthetic ATF oil is good. I prefere the Mobil 1.
If you put normal gear oil you going to have problems.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damnit. I read so many posts about it not being gear oil last night (which I have bought - Mobil 1) and so I bought 2 bottles of Redline from FocusSport. This is getting rediculous.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I run Mobil 1 ATF in mine and it's fine. I think the 75W90 gear oil would be too thick. If I was racing all the time I'd probably go with Redline MTL. It's a little thicker than ATF, but not as thick as 75W90. I had Redline MTL in my Mustang for a long time without any problems(OEM was ATF).

Edit--If you bought the D4ATF from FocusSport, you'll be fine.

[ 01-19-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: BLOWNSTANG ]

·
Registered
85 Posts
i use the redline atf that focussport sells

you drain it from the bottom plug and fill it from the front plug

i could tell a difference right away it was smoother. its been mad cold and it isnt as hard to shift as before with the stock fluid in there.

from posting on boards ive seen 1 or 2 people say they used 75W90 and had no problems and liked it...

[ 01-19-2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: hockeyfeva ]

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I had mine changed at a Ford dealer Jan 10th. 2003. They used three quarts of XT*M5*QS. Whatever the heck that is.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Since going through a rebuild.

I had the tranny completly emptied of all foreign materials and oil. cleaned out. took out the sloppy stripped diff. that ford puts in and replaced it with the quaife. I'm runing Redline MT-90 right now. but ford dealer ship recommend the ATF oils with dexron 3 or mercon.

I was also old that oils with mercon dexron, etc are for breakin periods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts