Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cracked?

and why does it make my exhaust sound like ****? well not **** but sometimes when i hit the gas it makes this terrible tingy sound. any ideas?

i have the shorty jba 3rd ceramic headers.....thanks

john

·
Registered
84 Posts
Spray some carb cleaner on the welds. See bubbles? You got a prob.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Originally posted by fokuzsport:
huh? what does that tell me? that its cracked? can you tell performance wise if its cracked?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If air is escaping around the welds, you have a crack. when you spray something like carb cleaner on it, it will bubble.
I don't think you would notice a drop in performance with a crack. It'll just sound ****ty under load.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
A leaking header sounds almost like a ticking noise...and gets progressively louder as the RPM's increase. Have someone hold the trottle above idle while you poke around under your hood. 99.9% of the time you can feel the leak with your hand...just don't touch the header as it gets quite warm.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hey, CARB CLEANER!!! are you insane, have you ever seen what carb cleaner on a hot header can do! haha I once saw an engine burst into flames after someone used carb cleaner to clean a rocker cover, and got some on the exhaust!

I would definately not use carb cleaner, its very flammable.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What works good is a stethoscope and a piece of rubber hose on the end to probe around the exhaust while you're listening. Works great on any engine noise!

And carb spray on the exhaust...come on now. Use it around the intake but NOT exhaust.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i wouldnt put ANY liquid on a hot header, because if you didnt have a crack, then putting liquid on it could possibly crack it with the temp difference, like dropping a hot pan in cold water.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oops!!!! Rookie mistake!
I've never actually sprayed carb cleaner on a header, nor did I know it is flammable. I assumed that since people used it on the intake that it would be okay for other things. Sorry for the bad advice, I meant no harm with it. The last thing I want is another jetter getting hurt b/c of dumba** advice. Please exuse my retardedness!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts