Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here replaced their rear disc brake pads themselves? I just tried and after I unbolted the caliper it wouldn't budge. I banged on it with a hammer and it came half way off but no more, I then figured that I had to remove the parking brake cable but that wouldn't budge either...and no i didn't have the parking brake engaged.
This is rediculous because I did the fronts Monday in about 30 minutes. Could someone please post a how to because I did a search and the only thing that was returned was a reply I made to another member back in April 02'.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you OGFocus99 for your response. I already bought a tool to spin the piston in from the auto store for a few bucks. My problem is that I can't get the caliper off of the rotor to access the old pads or the piston. It looks as though I have to get the parking brake cable off of the caliper... the connector at the end of the cable moves around a little bit in the hook but there is not enough slack in the cable to unhook it. Is there a special tool to get that off or just a technique?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Boss:

If you need to get the e-brake cable off, push the lever that the cable sits in. Push away from the end of the cable
to get the slack you need to get the cable off.I can't recall if you need to actually remove the cable to change the pads.

·
Registered
964 Posts
1.Remove the wheel and tire.
2.Detach the parking brake cable from the brake caliper.
a. Pull back the parking brake lever.
b. Disconnect the cable from the parking brake lever.
c. Remove the conduit retaining clip (if equipped).
d. Detach the cable and conduit from the brake caliper.
3. CAUTION: Suspend the brake caliper to prevent load being placed on the brake hose.
Detach the brake caliper from the anchor plate.
4. Remove the brake pads.
Step 3 shows 2 bolts on the top back of the caliper with a 35Nm torque. Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Boss- I had a question on the rear disc: is it a "hat" style or do you have to remove the hub nut and bearings?

I figured that you replaced your pads... maybe you replaced your disc as well.

I had serious trouble with the drum on my Wagon and don't want to go through that again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts