Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing my reverse indiglo gauges and now have to reset the needles. When I do the guage test (press the trip odo., turn the key to run, "test", release) how far are the gauges supposed to sweep to reset them properly?

·
Registered
860 Posts
...I think they just sweep their entire range of motion...I dont think they actually 'reset'...Its just a test, as the name implies...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For people's information... what I ended up doing is: 1)fill up the fuel tank (then put needle at "F") 2) warmed up the car until the fan came on (then put the needle in the middle) 3) idled the car when it was warmed up (put the needle at around 750rpm, then hit the rev limiter to test upper limit) 4) went for a drive and put the needle on the speedo while driving at 2000 rpm in 4th gear and putting the needle at 60Km/H, or just below 40Mph.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i didn't pull my needles off to put my guages on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did you guys slip the gauges over the needles? What brand of inglows did you guys get?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got the gauges off ebay and slipped them over, but I forgot to put the needle stops in and started the car. Of course this messed up where the needles sit.

Check this link

The fuel and temp have been explained. For the Tach and speedo, use the diag mode from above to put the needles back in the correct spot. The digital read out will display what the computer is reading, just match it the best you can.

Do the tach when the car is cold and wait for the RPM's to drop to 1000 rpms. Then put the needle on.

For the speedo, run the car up to 60, or as close as you can get it, lock in the cruise control, then put the needle on. If you don't have cruise, a passenger is helpful. I did mine at this speed cause I spend most of the time between 60 and 70, so that is where I wanted it to be most accurate.

Remember, the computer is calibrated to stock diameter tires, so if you have a different size, it will be off.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Mike

·
Registered
968 Posts
OK....I just did the indiglo overlay and my speedo needle does the sweep, and then just sets at about 32 mph. NO MOVEMENT WHILE DRIVING!!! WTF? Also, how did you pull the needles off, mine wouldnt budge????
!!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting the needles off... be VERY careful while using a small screwdriver (a tiny one) and turn it while it's stuck between the gauge face and the needle case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts