Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fog lights and parking lights only?
Is this possible? Why can't i figure this out??

·
Registered
510 Posts
take out relay # 13 wrap a wire around the double prongs and stick it back in!!!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=12

I need to do this too.

If I do this can I still turn the fogs on and off? Like if I want to have the parking lights on with no fogs or have the headlights on with no fogs.
yes you can. that is how it works. It works the same as stock except you don't have to have the headlights on to have the foglights on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Does anyone know why Ford didn't wire it this way to begin with? The knob pulls out when just the parking lights are on anyway.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Does anyone know why Ford didn't wire it this way to begin with? The knob pulls out when just the parking lights are on anyway.
I don't know of any car where it works like that. Might be gov. regulation.

Thanks for the help. I am going to do this tomorrow. Been meaning to look into it but never realized it was this easy.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
this mod also allows you to enable your fog lights with the high beams, which is illegal, thats why ford put in the relay, its actually designed to shut off the fogs when your highs are enabled.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Must be since my 02 Ram will do it. Trucks exempt?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Must be since my 02 Ram will do it. Trucks exempt?
Trucks do tend to have different regulations.

However, I would simply chalk it up to Dodge having worse quality control then Ford. Just kidding!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
It's got absolutely nothing to do with the type of vehicle.

It's all about how much light output and the beam pattern the lamp gives. The fog lamp on the SVTF doesn't pass the light output for a fog lamp per government regulations. They honestly are only there for looks. The Mustang, Taurus, Sable and other Ford passenger vehicles are same. I did have a 00 Cougar that had projector fog lamps and they put out a lot of light.

Almost 95% of trucks I've seen have fully functional fog lamps, meaning they pump out enough light to pass the regs and don't require headlamp light to assist. Fog lamps are actually designed to be used in fog (go figure). Their beam pattern spreads light down towards the ground (more so than headlamps) and prevents glare, which is the problem with headlamps in fog.

If you've ever been in a vehicle with fully functional lamps you'd know it. They don't require a hack to get them to work, and you can tell a difference between them and a decorative lamp.

k, I'm done

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a note that on the highway, you should not be driving with your fog lights on unless there is poor visibility such as fog/rain/snow. Your eyes naturally go to where there is the most light, and with the fog lights on, that is right in front of the car. When travelling at highway speed, you need to be looking well up the road, not 20 feet in front of the car.
The same holds true for the brightness on the guages. They should be turned way down when travelling on the highway at night. It is hard on your eyes to adjust from the darkness outside to bright guages inside your car. So many young people like to have the guage brightness maxed out like a video game - bad idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts