Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do they go about using that? do they spray it on the intercooler before running down the track or do they spray it while running? and is that their sole existing use of spray or can they spray it in the intake tube while spraying the intercooler? I was j/w about it, I have a guy around me that uses it on his SRT-4 but didn't know what exactly what it was for....well I know it's for cooling purposes, but I don't know the whole process.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
it sprays the intercooler while running down the track in order to better cool the charge.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
from what i hear....the Ntercooler doesnt really perform as well as its advertised....it MAY cool the charge down ALOT to create a nice 30-50hp extra ON THE DYNO.....but on a dyno you dont have the air passing accross the intercooler the way it does when your actually cruising down the road in the same fasion, so the air would be moving MUCH faster if it were normal driving conditions and almost defeat the purpose of the Ntercooler.......FROM WHAT I HEAR

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
It doesn't perform well at all unless you're seriously heat soaking your intercooler on passes. If you're not overworking the intercooler, gains are marginal at best.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
from what i hear....the Ntercooler doesnt really perform as well as its advertised....it MAY cool the charge down ALOT to create a nice 30-50hp extra ON THE DYNO.....but on a dyno you dont have the air passing accross the intercooler the way it does when your actually cruising down the road in the same fasion, so the air would be moving MUCH faster if it were normal driving conditions and almost defeat the purpose of the Ntercooler.......FROM WHAT I HEAR

Actually, i think it would work better when your driving on teh street or something b/c air rushing over a wet area tends to make things cooler.

try it, put ur hand out your window while driving.

it cools it down

now wet your hand and put it out the window, it cools much more.

but i see wha you guys are saying about heatsoaking on it.

I think if you make the sprayh light up @ nite...it would look cool lol.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool cool......so the people actually spray the intercooler w/the nitrous while driving down the track correct? this way it gives a wet effect and thus makes it a cooler/denser charge?

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
cool cool......so the people actually spray the intercooler w/the nitrous while driving down the track correct? this way it gives a wet effect and thus makes it a cooler/denser charge?
Yea.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yea.
An added benefit would be that the nitrous being sprayed is already VERY cold. But like Hocky said earlier, if your IC is already working, gains would be minimal. Better off spraying into your charge pipe, lol

Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
It actually works pretty well, especially in AZ where intercoolers are almost always heat soaked even under air flow.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
It actually works pretty well, especially in AZ where intercoolers are almost always heat soaked even under air flow.
Have you ever actually used one? Because I have... and in 95 degree, 90% humidity heat it did very little. I was not entirely maxing out my intercooler, but I was not going easy on it, either.

They're a waste... people who are using them need to put on a real intercooler or simply realize that it is not really doing anything.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so if they were to just spray or purge the nitrous on the intercooler before they ran it wouldn't stay cool/wet unless done whole way down the track?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Their was that one article in focus fanatics where the guy just had the NX Dry system hooked up to squirt right on the blower housing to keep temps down. I am sure you can do the same thing with the intake manifold or piping after the turbo.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
so if they were to just spray or purge the nitrous on the intercooler before they ran it wouldn't stay cool/wet unless done whole way down the track?
It is run the entire run down the track.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes Hocky I do actually own the kit and yes my intercooler is functional...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Their was that one article in focus fanatics where the guy just had the NX Dry system hooked up to squirt right on the blower housing to keep temps down. I am sure you can do the same thing with the intake manifold or piping after the turbo.
That's what I want in my engine compartment....nitrous vapours just chillin' right next to my super heated exhuast manifold....

I think what Hocky is trying to say is that the power you get out of them is probably not worth the money. I'm pretty positive you will however see a gain of at least something when you use this kit.

p.s.- hockey, did you have a front mount with you vortec setup?

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
That's what I want in my engine compartment....nitrous vapours just chillin' right next to my super heated exhuast manifold....

I think what Hocky is trying to say is that the power you get out of them is probably not worth the money. I'm pretty positive you will however see a gain of at least something when you use this kit.

p.s.- hockey, did you have a front mount with you vortec setup?
No, I used the intercooler sprayer on my alltrac.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
In theory, I don't think it would be a problem...unless you have a leaky fuel rail or something, and in any case would be bad. Nitrous by itself is not flammable. With fuel, combustion takes place more rapidly.

·
Car Photo God!
4,292 Posts

Actually, i think it would work better when your driving on teh street or something b/c air rushing over a wet area tends to make things cooler.

try it, put ur hand out your window while driving.

it cools it down

now wet your hand and put it out the window, it cools much more.

but i see wha you guys are saying about heatsoaking on it.

I think if you make the sprayh light up @ nite...it would look cool lol.
Technically this has to do with how the bodies nervous/porous system works not actually a drastic temp change. At least I don't believe so however I am open to being re-educated.

·
O .
2,372 Posts
i personally have never used one but have seen it on a alot of diff cars and i know a guy who runs one on his 3rd gen 7 and he seems to like it hes at chaos every weekend filling his bottle and says it makes a hell of a diff i figured he was just purging it all but he doesn't have a purge setup so i dunno

1 - 19 of 19 Posts