Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading on how you can only have so much torque and horsepower with an automatic. Why is this? is it true? will it just break or something?

Thank, Poppy

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by Poppy229:
I was just reading on how you can only have so much torque and horsepower with an automatic. Why is this? is it true? will it just break or something?

Thank, Poppy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lol this gets posted every second day.. hehe..

1. 135 pounds of torque at the wheels limit.
2. because the torque converter limits it at that
3. Yes its true
4. Your tranny will just shut off.

Theres a ton of info on that topic on this board, just gotta look it up.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
after the torque converter goes the 3rd gear clutches will, I've been through a transmission.....the torque converter was cooked, the fluid was black, and all but 1 gear were useless

this was at near stock power with alot of drag racing....just my experience, no tranny drops, ever...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
its funny tho cuz some peeps trannys die so quickly like pg's and others last like mine, had it since 2000...and its fine, and i rip the **** outa it (no neutral drops, im not ignorant)...but yeh i punch it and manual shift every day...basically if u buy a focus before 2003, its a gamble on auto trannys, some are good...others arent...and ford wont say why...oh well im good
-chris

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
New developments on ATX tranny's for the focus are in the works... I may have some info within the next month

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by TooleBox:
New developments on ATX tranny's for the focus are in the works... I may have some info within the next month
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I like that!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Poppy229:
So would a new torque converter help?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pretty sure ya need more then that.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Torque Converter is #1 priority

then you need better clutch packs

and lastly would be a better valve body

This is all coming soon, and im not talking about Level 10

·
Registered
328 Posts
once this comes in, let me know, stock parts are crap. i've went through one tranny already, and attempting to aviod going through another. new performance parts for my tranny would be great.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
will do narcolepsy... I am speaking w/ the company now, and if all goes well we should be track testing at least 1 of the 3 components in the near future here (crosses fingers)

I should know by monday whether I will be their test vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts