Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious...
From a psychological standpoint (did the number of recalls scare you or make you hesitant), from a convenience standpoint (or rather how much you were inconvenienced), as well as anything else that's somewhat relevant.
Thanks.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
No Fear.
No "Life Impact", just a slight inconvenience finding time to take it in.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The number of recalls really doesn't bother me (I bought my 2000 Focus used in July of last year). As for the repairs, they really haven't bothered me too much because the dealership has dropped me off at my dorm and I really don't need my car except for on the weekends (all recalls were done within a few hours of me dropping the car off). Plus, the latest recall got me an extended warranty b/c I moaned enough about all the "hassle". I am now covered up untill I hit 50k miles (10k miles to go that means)

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
They only bother me when ignorant people keep telling me that its the most recalled car. Can't they get it through their heads that was the damn 2000 model, and that my 2001 only had 1 on it, and that was done before I was even started car shopping?

There, I'm done.

No, I'm not worried at all. My car is an angel. < knocks on wood >

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Egz:
No, I'm not worried at all. My car is an angel. < knocks on wood >
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's pretty much how I feel, there's this lingering doubt, like one day I'll walk out and see a smoking pile of rubble where my car was. I wouldn't say its living in fear, but more like sleeping with one eye open.

All I've had done so far is the wheel bearing, and I'll get the battery cable done as soon as I can get it to a dealer.

They haven't really bothered me, by now I love my car in spite of its tarnished image (via media coverage of the recalls, etc.).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine was an early 2000 model, so I was subject to each and every recall there ever was. It affected me in that I was on first name basis with the service writer, and the car was in every other week for various non-recall related repairs.

Anyways, the car's gone and I'm now driving a 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8T. I realize that VW's have a horrid quality reputation, but I haven't had a single problem with it in the 40K miles I've put on it since Sept 2001.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
The last recall (battery cable/rear bearing) kept me at the dealer about 45 minutes longer than I'd planned. Why? Because I stopped by to schedule the appointment, they asked if I could wait 45 minutes, and they did the recall right then. Can't complain about that service.
I spent the time trying to track down part numbers with the parts guys and checking out the 2002 Focus "GT/R" that they had on the lot.
Mid-level ZX3 + Body kit from the Ford Accessory catalog plus tint + custom cut GT/R vinyl badges.

As for warranty work... um... pretty much nill. I have a 2000 ZX3. I've spent far more time getting the oil changed than I have getting anything else done to the car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
At one point, I considered my car a death trap. And it really was. I didn't realize it for quite some time but the irritating noise from the back was the bearings going (this was after having them replaced under their first recall). The noise was such that I figured it was just the ****ty build quality and irritating road vibration noise. It gave me a major headache almost whenever I drove and I hated, absolutely hated, driving. Then I figured out it was the bearings again and every day was like "Well, is the wheel going to fly off and I'm going to die?" To quote Phil Hartman: "Good times, good times."

I guess others have more luck than me but taking my car in is a BIG deal, so all of the recalls were a pain. None of the garages will actually do the work when I come in, they need to keep it for the day. Plus, the latest they'll let me schedule an appointment is generally around 10am, which is two or three hours earlier than I normally wake up. Usually, a recall means I have to take the day off from work and I also get to waste a couple hours or more of my time. The good news, I guess, is that I usually have some other repairs to toss in while they're doing the recalls. I still like the car but what I usually say about it is "It's well designed, not well made." I give it an overall positive mark but most people come away with a negative impression, usually because of the recalls. I'll consider getting the 2.3L Focus but it'll take a lot more consideration than if it was made by Toyota. One more fallout from the recalls is that I'm going to be much more reticent to ever buy a first year model again (even if it's been made for years elsewhere, since Ford showed me that just means they'll cut corners on QA) and that I'm going to stick with makers and models that have high records of reliability. The only exception I can see myself making is to get an Elise. That's a car that's worth 5 recalls and various other repairs, easy.

[ 03-29-2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: proxemac ]

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by 00LetDaGirlDrive00:
after #25, we decided to sell our focus!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">25!! I've had two. Took a whole two hours out of my life. Bummer.

[ 03-29-2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Haha, what a coincidence today. I was going to go over to Park Place, Ltd. to check out their Elises and then try out an MR-S. However, just as I'm coming to the 520 bridge over Lake Washington doing 50+ mph in heavy traffic, my Focus dies. Since there was no shoulder, I had the opportunity to be surprised how at-speed turning and breaking wasn't *that* bad with no power. It did start up again and I don't see anything wrong in the bay.

I wasn't planning on selling my Focus for at least another year but now that I'm out of warranty (by 520 miles) and its inept build quality has endangered my life again, I have my doubts that I'll wait until the 2004 models all come out. I won't bother finishing setting up my Focus for STS class, either, so it's going to severely hamper my first autoX season. ****ing Ford ineptitude.

[ 03-29-2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: proxemac ]

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Oh the recalls have ruined my life. i am scared to drive my car, the recalls that have been done have wasted about 4-5 hours of my entire life.

I HATE THIS CAR...

riiiiiiiiight
you just gotta laff at the fools the will spend the same amount of time reading and complaing about their recalls than they do getting them fixed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by Smoe:
Oh the recalls have ruined my life. i am scared to drive my car, the recalls that have been done have wasted about 4-5 hours of my entire life.

I HATE THIS CAR...

riiiiiiiiight
you just gotta laff at the fools the will spend the same amount of time reading and complaing about their recalls than they do getting them fixed.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're right. Taking the day off from work is easy, especially when under tight deadlines I'd get fired for missing. Waking up 3 hours earlier than normal is convenient. Having a 2 & 2/3 year old car die while going 50+ mph is nothing to complain about. I should just bend over and let Ford take me however they want. I am a fool for thinking otherwise.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nothing. Two recals, battery cable and pinch bolts. I checked the pinch bolts myself and fixed the battery cable problem before they even announced the recall. My car is perfect. I love it. 51K and counting.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Other people point and laugh at me, until they learn how many miles I have on my car and it still runs great.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It gave me a life altering event. I stop eating meats, stop swearing, I am now polite to people, I even started a charity fund for the Focus recall injured. I feel like a better person now!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts