Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 60k on my engine and want to put a supercharger in. It won't be until about 70k. Am I just going to ruin the engine? If so, what parts of the engine would need to be rebuilt or beefed up first?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
You should be fine with any of the supercharer kits available. A good thing to do would be to have a compression check done to see how your rings and seals are holding up. If everything checks out, go for it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry to be ignorant but I have another question. The rings are on the pistons right? And the seals are all part of the head(or at least where it attaches to the bottom short block)?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
valve seals in head, yes. Piston rings, yes. The compression or leak down test will let you know if you need to address these parts before adding boost.

·
The best part about me is that I think I am better
4,481 Posts
seals?

a compression test will only show which cylinder(s) are weak, nothing else.

a leakdown test will show where the cylinder(s) is(are) weak; either the rings, if the valves are not seating, a burnt valve or headgasket leak.
i have yet to see a compression or leakdown test show any issues with seals...?

if you have owned the car from new and the car has these sorts of issues at 60k miles... you need to address your driving FIRST. pretty much the only way engines with mileage that low have such problems is if you have totally abused the hell out of your car and have not taken care of it either. if that is the case, take a couple of defensive driving courses or tone down your driving... boost will not suit you or the people on the road around you!

if that is not the case, the engine should be fine to handle boost. i have seen cars with over 100k miles add FI and run fine for another 50k miles... it's all in how you drive and take care of your car!

good luck in your hunt for boost!

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I added the FS/VF kit @ 57000 miles and just hit 67000 tonight.

(Yikes I drive a lot!)

If you've taken care of your car, there should be no problems.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My Vortech went on at 63,000.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The powerworks guys were telling us this weekend that one of their test cars got a supercharger at 50000 miles and they've since put 30000 miles on it with no problems at all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have you all beat....I installed my JRSC at 125,000 miles!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys, this makes me happy! I was afraid that I would have to settle for NA, but I just couldn't stand to top out at 160ish hp. now to finish saving up the money.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I turbocharged my focus maybe 2000 miles ago on my motor and my motor has over 160k miles on it haha. Going strong!! Nothing has broken... yet.. haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts