Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bringing my car into the school's shop to install my exahust tommorrow, and am looking for a general idea of how long it will take to get the stock one off, and the new one installed, assuming we have air tools and a lift to use?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You will have to cut the factory exhaust off. With a lift and air tolls shouldn't take any more that 30 minutes. An hour at the ABSOLUTE most.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another somewhat related question...where do i put the support arms for the lift on the undercarrige?

·
Banned
926 Posts
Right on the pinch weld.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
the most timeconsuming part of an exhaust job is cutting off the stock system... if you have a torch, you can be done w/ the job in 30 mins easily (not including time to put the car on and off the lift)..

what exhaust did you go with?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Right there where the arrows point. LOL Right where you would use the stock jack. L8er Jon

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
if you look under your car where the black molding goes down you will see what looks like 2 peices of sheet metal are welded together, the whole lentgh of the car, just imagine a t. look in your owners manual for jacking point it will show you exactly where

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Buy new gaskets, buy new gaskets - exhaust weaks suck! Especially on something like a Bosal. BTW you can usually rent an exhaust cutter from Pep Boys, they suck, but work if thats the only thing you've got.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I put my exhaust on in about 20 minutes without a lift. The sawzall came in handy to get the stocker off (which is the hardest part). good luck!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I put my exhaust on in about 20 minutes without a lift. The sawzall came in handy to get the stocker off (which is the hardest part). good luck!
took me about an hour i had to modify my cat back a bit.and that is with out a lift.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buy new gaskets, buy new gaskets - exhaust weaks suck! Especially on something like a Bosal. BTW you can usually rent an exhaust cutter from Pep Boys, they suck, but work if thats the only thing you've got.
good point about the gaskets. I guess i get to go get a new one this weekend, then install it next week. better than an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
you can get this gasket at any ford dealership right? and its the one that goes where the exhaust meets the cat right?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
where it meets the flexpipe, yeah. i reused mine and dont have a leak, but it's cheap enough where it's worth it to save the risk.

i'd say 20-45 minutes to replace the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Those exhaust gaskets are metal, there is NO need for replacement! I have had my exhaust on and off my car probably 15 times still have the original ones. I did however break a stud but I just heated it up and knocked it out and put in a bolt.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If your going to replace the gaskets, don't use the same Ford ones. They are thin metal (copper??) and never die, but they don't do the best job of sealing for aftermarket pipes. I spent $10 on this crazy 5 layered gasket and its awesome!! Maybe alittle overboard, but atleast I know I won't get a leak there. Anywho, go to Pep Boys and ask them if you can go in the back and dig around in there exhaust flange gaskets and find your treasure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts