Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question:

I have a 2001 zx3 with automatic and currently have 67,000 miles. I am the original owner and have followed the maintenance Ford recommends. It currently runs great, no probs. Will my car last another 5 years (another 67,000 miles), will the transmission hold up?

I have had my share of problems with the Focus (fuel pump replaced, CEL, brakes), but it seems to be running pretty good now. Do people think that once all the faulty original parts are replaced with the revised parts, that the Focus is good for many many miles and years? Or is a car destined to die at 80,000 miles because it is just a cheap Ford?

Comments please. Will the Focus last beyond 100K?

Zedex3

*Mod edit* Fixed the typo in the title.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Re: How Long with the Focus Last

There's a growing number of people in the 100,000 mile club. And some canadians I saw posting that they joined the 200,000 kilometer club (about 124,000 miles) as well.

I just kicked over 87,000 with no seriously major issues that I didn't create. I curbed it in '02 and had to replace some steering and suspension goodies, but other than that, all of it was simple recall or TSB work, or easily-fixed stuff:

A-Pillar trim recall
Back seat recall
Wheel bearing recall
pinch bolt recall
fuel pump recall

Coilpack harness wires cracked (repaired it myself, took about half an hour)
DPFE Sensor (Bypassed it, then got a chip that disables EGR/DPFE permanently)

OTher than that, she's been good. 87,000 miles and I still stretch the engine out probably 3 times a week (6,000 RPM isn't uncommon), and stretch her legs (110+ MPH) once a month or so, whenever I get a chance to make it to the proving grounds (not as often as I'd like with my work schedule)

All in all, I can't see my car blowing up anytime soon.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Almost 103k on this car:

Sure, it breaks now and then, but I drive the everliving snot out of it at track days and autocrosses.... not to mention backroads, and it still runs like a top. Drivetrain wise it has been dead solid.

I love this car.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

I predict that many Foci will see the 200k mark without any major issues.

·
Registered
457 Posts

I had my 2000 ZX3 with automatic with no major problems till 72,000 miles, and then I had to put a new tranny in it. Seems ok now. Not sure what happened, but you knew it when it went.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

I'll be joining the 100K club tomorrow. I've had more problems than I'd like, but none since 60K. To a large degree, I think the buggy parts have died and been replaced by now.

You'll probably want to change out the brake fluid, tranny fluid, and coolant soon if you haven't already. Also, don't forget about changing the timing belt at 120K.

Otherwise, she should deal with the mileage pretty well. Just don't abuse the transmission; I think we've demonstrated in this forum how fragile it is.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts

Just turned 60,000 miles this morning. Runs great, no problems and tons of fun

·
Registered
584 Posts

I have approx 53k on mine. Other then the typical crap ie fuel pump, wheel bearing, some other stupid [censored] car runs great. It depends how you treat her. It will never be perfect however staying on top of maintenance is half the battle.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

120+k miles. 2000 SE sedan, Zetec, MTX.
fuel pump = twice
could not unlock trunk around 40k = fixed
ignition lock = fixed
2 recalls i was affected by.
1 door lock actuator. = fixed

total out of pocket price about $150-200
pretty [censored] good if you ask me

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

I predict that many Foci will see the 200k mark without any major issues.
197,000 and counting on my wife's '00 Zetec wagon. No huge issues (wheel bearings, CV, door lock actuator, door latch corrosion), but somewhere near a dozen recalls at this point.

·
What have I... What have I... What have I done to
14,709 Posts

Mine's sitting comfortably right now at around the 53K mile mark, and so far with the exception of bad springs in the front suspension and my trunk/seatbelt reminder lights spazzing out, she's been fine. This is my 2nd ZX3 (first got totalled back in December of '03, not my fault..), and probably after this I'm gonna buy an Orange SVT, but I think I'm keeping my blue baby as well, she's too great to get rid of!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

I have 93k on mine. Have had brake light switch, MAFS, 2 sets of O2s, TPS, and alternator all go bad in the past year. I hope I am done with repairs for a while.

Jason

·
Registered
11,255 Posts

...And some canadians I saw posting that they joined the 200,000 kilometer club (about 124,000 miles) as well.
Hmm...wonder who you were referring to

FYI: I'm at 221,000 km...or about 137,000 miles now...and it's a 2002!

Overall the car has held up. I've had one major meltdown under warranty, but after warranty expired things seemed to just get better. The only repairs I really have is due to wear and tear, a run-in with another car, or the typical annoyances that some owners have (like the DPFE sensor). It's only been autocrossed once, but I do find time to drive on a road track during an SVTOA On Track event.

If you take care of your car, the car will take care of you. Just keep on top of scheduled maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

As of today I have 151xxx and it drives like a champ. The HVAC blower no longer works, nor does the rear wiper, but what can ya do? It truly drives like a car w/ 20,000 miles and is even on the same clutch. Actually the same spark plugs for that matter. And my last tank of gas showed an average of 32.6 MPG.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

Getting ready to hit 40,000 and mune is a 2001 ZX3 Prem/Pwr with VERY HARD 40,000 on it. Never been waxed alsway used the best oils and filters. 6 sets of tires, 5 sets of brakes, too many auto-x, too many track days, back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean(well 2.5), 2 accidents(not my fualt) one battery, a/c leaking(annually), driven on the German Autobahns all its life, minus 4 months iin the US. And this is what it looks like today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts