Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how low will a typical bodykit drop the car. already have the handling and power, just need to know for winter driving and looks.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Re: How low will a bodykit drop the car

depends on which bodykit you are getting..
if it is something like rs edition thing(not real rs), it is little bit lower than stock bumper..
but something like evo3, it drops really low, with 2" lowering on suspension, you scrape everything..you can't go to gas station without scrape under..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i was looking at a bc or avenger kit. do u think that'll look ok with 16's and make it through winter?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

for looks, not sure..
avenger kit is made of poly urethane which is same material as stock bumper which is flexible but bc, is fiberglass, easyily breakable but fg is cheaper to buy and cheaper to get it painted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i can find the bc kit for $450 including the shipping. THe avenger is $900, but there is another kit called the shogon or somthing like that that has the same style bumper. I need something cheep but good looking that can add to my drag wing. the car is fast as it is , just need some attention.

·
Registered
549 Posts

you will get a lot of attention if you get a body kit without lowering your car...

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts

he is not choosing one over the other, he wants to know how much his bodykit would make the car appear lower.

I am doing the exact same thing, I am putting my bodykit on first, then you can accurately gauge how low your car needs to go.

bodykits usually run lower than the natural lines of the car, or else why would they even make them? the point of a bodykit is to dramatically change the lines of the car for the better. guaranteed the car will be naturally lower because of the body. I figure that after I install my kit, I will lower the car ever so slightly, probably use the SVT suspension because that lowers you about 1inch, or the eibach kit which is only 1.5 lower.

·
Banned
429 Posts

Well if thats what you like, if you want my opinion then, depeing if you want more looks or performance. I would lower it first then find a body kit that works, if you want looks I would do the exact oppsite.

-Ryan

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

A kit will change how far it sits from the ground, but you will still have the 6" of fender gap.

·
Registered
184 Posts

I did both lower and body kit and it is pretty low. I have an SVT front with a painted lip and it got beat up in the winter. I think thats the reason it is black in stock form. I just recently went to the SVT suspension set up to raise the car a little. Doesn't looks as good but I like having the ground effects. If I was to do it all over again, I would go with Eibach pros or Progress and don't get an overly agressive side skirt. Maybe an SVT or paint the stock plastic piece. Nice and low but yet still not bad for clearance issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Were not dealing with a civic or neon with dramatic body roll. this is a focus that already has outstanding performance. Yes i'll have to get better springs but i also have to run it during the winter, so a very low car is out of the picture(NY state). As long as it looks better than stock with the drag wing i'll be happy.

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts

just get your hands on the svt springs, those drop your car around 1 full inch, and all it does is helps you

·
Registered
5,396 Posts

SVT springs DO NOT drop your car 1".

.75" max and its not even that low figure about 1/2" of drop with SVT springs, NOT 1".

x2

ive never heard of SVT springs givin a 1" drop

·
Registered
406 Posts

I had my kit before I lowered the car...it looked pretty goofy IMO w/ the stock suspension. Honestly though, I would reccomend doing one or the other first..when I first got my kit I drug it a few times and I figured when I lowered it, that'd be all I got done, but I think I've only had one very minor scraping incident since the drop..like I looked under the bumper and you couldn't even tell..not to mention you can see that part of the bumper w/o laying on your back.. I definately take that car places it shouldn't go..
You'll learn the fine art of going up and over things as sideways as possible very quickly.

Back to what I think was the original question..I guess in the front w/ stock suspension, I was around 1.5coke cans off the ground...now, I'm about around one coke can off the ground. In all honesty, if you think you can only do one thing for sake of ground clearance, do suspension. A lowered stock bodied car looks 432097234874x better than a stock height kitted car. An RS kit w/ SVT suspension would be a nice compromise. Good styling w/ not too much simulated drop and good handling w/ some decreased wheel gap. Most any "ricer" kit, such as mine, will give you a couple inches of simulated drop all around. Another option you might want to consider is a lip kit on stock bumpers. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

i can find the bc kit for $450 including the shipping. THe avenger is $900, but there is another kit called the shogon or somthing like that that has the same style bumper. I need something cheep but good looking that can add to my drag wing. the car is fast as it is , just need some attention.
Cheap body kit + good looking= not gonna happen.

Scott

·
Registered
406 Posts

Cheap body kit + good looking= not gonna happen.

Scott
This man speaks the truth. Fiberglass is an iffy material....if it fits, it's awesome..but if not you're looking at one of three things:
1. Poor fitment; looks horrible
2. A lot of work
3. A lot of more money than you planned to spend

And even if you put in the time and money, it's still possible you won't get the desired look...Urethane is your friend...it's a little more expensive, but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts

X2 to that ^^^!!! I just got the Standard width RS kit from F2. Its urethane, great fitment! put it on myself, and for the first time doin a body kit, it was really easy. It drops the front bumper line, like 3 inches.....I'm installing prokit springs this weekend. I live in Michigan, so I understand the winter issues you will have to deal with. I plan on returning it to stock suspension before winter.

My advice, buy a good quality URETHANE kit.

·
Registered
395 Posts

X2 to that ^^^!!! I just got the Standard width RS kit from F2. Its urethane, great fitment! put it on myself, and for the first time doin a body kit, it was really easy. It drops the front bumper line, like 3 inches.....I'm installing prokit springs this weekend. I live in Michigan, so I understand the winter issues you will have to deal with. I plan on returning it to stock suspension before winter.

My advice, buy a good quality URETHANE kit.
x3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts